Ceramic or Alnico for Passive Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by russpurdy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

So...

I am thinking i'm going to wire up my Sub Ray4 as a passive bass and see what happens. The active preamp sounds pretty good but I have been having troubles with the way it interacts with some of my stompboxes.

I have heard that ceramic humbuckers are a nice choice when going passive as they don't get quite as muddy as alnico (from what I have read, alnico benefits from a bit of added preamp treble).

I'm looking for something to play primarily punk rock and classic-ish metal but don't want so much aggression that I cant clean up and get the "another one bites the dust" tone.

Some people say ceramic is great for agressive tones, others call it harsh and soul-less. I'm a bit concerned alnico will get buried in the mix without a preamp and with a bit of fuzz and overdrive kicked in.

So, there it is. What would you roll with (and feel free to reccomend a model) if you were running a passive stingray?

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For the tone you want, alnico. IIRC, that's what in your bass anyways. You can always try it and see if you like it or not.

3. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    I find that Alnico provides a more organic, natural sound with nice dynamics. Ceramic is the go-to for loud, aggressive sounds. More compressed. There's a place for both in your arsenal.