1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Chambered body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by los100malditos, Feb 7, 2013.

1. los100malditos

los100malditos

Question. Does the chambered body of some electric basses really make any difference in the sound??? In example - spectorcore basses- ... what about an electric acoustic bass which use a piezo pickup? like godin, or any electric acoustic bass !!!
  2. zfunkman

zfunkman

I'm not totally sure but I read that the chambered bodies are made to make the bass lighter and still keep the sound.
  3. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I had my Modulus Q5 body chambered to lighten the weight. The tone of the bass did change somewhat. I can't describe the change to you - it was nearly 15 years ago. It still sounds great but definitely different.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

chambered bodies help to lighten the load. I don't hear any difference in my chambered bodied basses and my solid body basses. If there IS any tonal difference it's for the better, as far as mine go.
  5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Perhaps someone who has experience with otherwise identical solid-bodied and chambered Sadowsky basses will see this thread and chime in; for all I know, Mr. Sadowsky may have commented on this topic somewhere like Youtube.
  6. Toptube

Toptube

this is not at all a slight towards Sadowsky, but rather matter of fact reporting:

In his videos he basically says: I chamber my bodies to hit my ideal target weight. People also say they sound better.

Its possible I may have missed a video somewhere in which he elaborates.
  7. jb63

jb63

8. spade2you

spade2you

Chambering can have as much or as little impact on the sound depending on the location of the chambers and size.
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Note to all - this thread was originally posted in the DB forums, and I did an incomplete job of cleaning it when I moved it. My bad. I have now cleaned up all off topic material, so we can move forward with the discussion of chambered bass guitar bodies. :)
  10. 4to5to6

4to5to6 Bassist Supporting Member

Generally chambering reduces the mids slightly which is not always a good thing. The trade off is the increased resonance and the lite weight of course. You`ll need a piezo bridge to really take full advantage of that extra chambering resonance. Check out Michael Tobias` Marilyn series of basses for a great example.