1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Change a Squier Jazz bass bridge just for esthetic purpose..a good idea?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fredolee16, Dec 16, 2013.

1. fredolee16

fredolee16

I recently buy a Vintage Modified 77's jazz bass. I always upgrade my Jbass and Pbasses with other bridges because I hate how those vintage bridges looks on my basses. Sometimes I use most of the time, a Gotoh(because it's cheaper than the badass). With the Gotoh I feel that I always win some sustain and it looks better than the stock bridge. This is the first time in my life that I buy a bass that is barely perfect, after I made my personal setup off course. Action is very low with no fret buzz. All the notes and harmonics are perfect and the most incredible thing, it has a huge sustain. Any way, every time I look that horrible bridge, I just want to get rid of it. But with this bass can be only esthetic. This is a good idea or I can loose more that I can win with changing this bridge? Tell me your story before I spend some money.
  2. JACink

JACink

Don't fix what aint broken.
  3. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

What about a bridge cover? If You think it's perfect, why change it? But i do get the feeling of disliking looks of basses, bridges, w/e..
  4. fredolee16

fredolee16

Well,,,A bridge cover could be a good idea. But I saw that this bridge cover is so big that also cover the pickup which is a problem for me because I use this pickup to put my thumb.
  5. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

I swapped out my bridges for black ones off of eBay just for looks. I noticed no difference, but they look way better. I also swapped the tuners on my Squier for ones that were a little cheaper, but look way better. I think looks are important.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

,,, So it plays great, low action, no buzzing, intonates perfect and has sustain?

Yeah, too much to lose. Don't do it.
  7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

If you want to change the bridge, change the bridge. Nothing to lose other than a couple dollars if you buy it new and decide to sell it. You may or may not have to shim the neck to get the action as low as it is now with the high-mass bridge.
  8. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Why not try a P bass bridge cover on the jazz? Never seen one but I doubt it would look bad. Also if you dislike the look and its bugging you then change it. If you are willing to spend the money then do it, just make sure the new bridge isn't a POS.
  9. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Use a Precision bass cover. It just covers the bridge, period. Oh, and if everything works now jut the way you like it, leave the bridge alone. it's a good possibility you could screw that up with a different bridge.I also agree with the aforementioned sentiment of "ain't broke, don't fix." I've read too many accounts on TB here where people thought it would be good idea to swap out their Fender style bridge for a fancy, snazzy-looking new bridge for whatever reason and ended up absolutely hating it and immediately putting back the original.
  10. electracoyote

electracoyote

+1

Sometimes the bent L is the way to go. It's the original design, it has a classic look, try not to get hung up on it. Whenever one of my basses sets up to near perfection and plays and sounds awesome, I do NOTHING to it for fear I'll screw it up.
  11. fredolee16

fredolee16

Well thanks guys. Also thanks for the idea of the Pbass bridge cover. I think that this could be a good idea to cover the bridge with something nice. I'm thinking in don't fix what aint broken.
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

p cover on a jazz? ewww :meh: isn't that sacrilege or something?

but seriously, i would leave it as is. even unscrewing the bridge and re-screwing the bridge back on, i would fear something would inevitably not be the same.
  13. Nev375

Nev375

I think aesthetic looks better with the a. So why not change bridges if the look of it distracts you.
  14. landau roof

I don't see the dilemma. People swap bridges all the time. It's not like there's a soul contained in the body that will escape through the screw holes if you remove the bridge.

You people are superstitious.

[​IMG]
  15. C.Linton

Not superstitious at all. Like I said earlier, plenty of people have reported changing their bridges out with the idea that it would improve their bass, only to end up hating it. Why do you think there are so many used after market bridges for sale?
  16. landau roof

I suppose if you don't get a setup afterwards, yeah, it would suck.

Do you really think that the only reason someone sells a used aftermarket bridge is because it ruined their bass?
  17. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

If you're going to try the Gotoh, I would say stay away. The bridge itself is well made, and very similar in performance to a Quan badass....however, it has known issues with not getting as low as the stock fender bridge. So if your Jazz plays great and feels great as is, you might up the string height a bit with the Gotoh.
  18. C.Linton

No, not always the only reason, but it has been an often stated reason. and even sometimes when they don't say that, they're not gonna say they hated what it did to their bass, they are trying to sell the thing after all.
    No-one is going to say "I hated what it did to my bass's sound, but please buy it anyway."
    And the people who said they hated the results of the swap indeed decided they didn't like it AFTER a setup. Who puts on a new bridge without doing a setup?
  19. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Get one of these:
    [​IMG]

51 Tele bass bridge cover, you can order one from All Parts.
  20. landau roof

By the same mystic "don't fix what isn't broken" token, swapping the bridge might blow the thing out of the water. You never know, bro.... :scowl:

I've swapped bridges on lots of basses, most commonly a Badass II to a vintage-style Fender because I prefer the look and net about $50 after selling. They always play just as well before and after, only about a half pound lighter and perhaps with less sustain if I cared to let a note ring longer than 15 or 20 seconds. I guess I have too much faith in geometry.