1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Change your style for your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I'm a college student who is still a greenhorn bassist. I get new strings whenever I can, but that's not very often so I adapt to get whatever tone I can stand. With the rounds I lightened up my touch, with flats I use a pick, and I just got pressurewounds and I have found myself being very heavy on them.

Am I harming myself as a bassist doing this? Does anyone else do this?

2. yookh4u

yookh4u

I think you're trying to get the best tone with your instrument and strings without knowing it. Well, why not? Lots of players does that too...

But maybe someday you will find somewhat "go to setup" that fits your style at any given circumstances.

3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

"Being very heavy on them" is a phrase that concerns me. You want to keep it ergonomic.

Note: I have no experience with pressurewounds.

One thing that jumps out at me is that you switched to using a pick when you tried flats. That, to me, suggests that flats didn't really cut through with enough treble for you, so you "compensated" by using a pick to get that treble you were missing.

That said, learning both pick and fingerstyle is never a bad thing.

The phrase "whatever tone I can stand with them" suggests to me that you're still looking for the right string for you. Nothing wrong with that.

4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I started out on the dead rounds that my first bass (that I bought used) came with. From there I got new rounds and they sounded too piano like for me, so I played them very lightly compared to the dead rounds. I'm playing about pwounds about how I played the dead rounds, but I'm watching my body to make I don't end up hurting myself.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I find myself playing to the tone of the instrument.

If the tone is big and phat, I will play longer more flowing lines, if the tone is bright and snappy, I will play more flashy...

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have a counter-proposal.

Install Labella Deep Talkin' Flats and don't change them for at least 10 years.

Meanwhile, practice and play, and develop your own playing style. Your effort will be much better invested.

The flats on my P-bass haven't been changed since 1972 and it sounds great. I have a dozen basses, and I sound like me no matter which one I play. I find that comforting and highly appropriate.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Decide which type strings of those you like best and stick to them. If thats rounds, become familair with the sound diff's between the main brands and narrow string choice for rounds to best brand 0r 2 for you. Adjusting tone by playing style is great developement of expressiveness. You'll find you continue doing this with fave strings to. But in better way imo.

Have you adjusted the basses pups for best sound to you? And have you adjusted action for best playability and sound to you? These other two things bring you closer to bass tone heaven.

9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Pilgrim,

The flats are on my bronco and I plan on keeping them on there forever. I love the feel of them and 60s music suddenly makes sense, but overall I find them uninspiring and I think I'd go mad if I had them on both basses.