Changed a pup in my PJ and got an issue.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave_bass5, Nov 9, 2013.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

I can't quite figure this one out.
    I put a Fender 62RI Original P pup in my Squier VM PJ today and it sounded great. Volume was good and it was as loud as the bridge pup.
    The issue came when I had both pups on 100%. The volume dropped and the tone got very thin, much worse than normal.

First thought was to reverse the wires of the pup. This fixed the two pups on issue, but the pup then sounded quiet and lacking punch, even when played on its own.
    I took it out and put the stock pup back in and all was good. I then took the Fralin out of my other Squier and that works perfectly with the stock jazz.

I put the fender in to the other bass and that too worked perfectly. I swapped the wires around and this made no difference to the tone, so the pup couldn't have been at fault......or could it?

The one thing I didn't try was to leave the fender as it was and reverse the jazz pup wires. I thought about it but didn't go that route.

Any ideas what was happening here?
  2. Grissle

Grissle

One of the pickups is out of phase somehow. You'll need to swap the hot and ground on one of them.
  3. dave_bass5

Thanks but I already posted that I did.
    What I'm confused about is in doing so the sound of the pup changed as well. I've not heard this happen before, and putting in a 3rd pup got rid of this issue so I didn't need to tamper with the bridge pup.
  4. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Are all strings out of phase or only one side of the P? I had a Fender P with a DM Model J and had to switch the wires between the P sides rather than the set to fix the issue.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dave_bass5

The whole pup sounded less powerful and clear, although the D and G sounded slightly weaker than the outer two.
    This was when soloed, so I'm not sure what was going on. It did cure the loss of volume and tone with both on though.
    As I've said, the pup itself is working fine in another bass on its own, so I know the pup is ok. I wonder if it was to do with the brass plate and the way that's wired (just a guess, I. really not up on all this).
    I did think the wiring was a bit different to a jazz bass, but I might be wrong.
  7. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Possible cold solder joint?
  8. dave_bass5

No, i swapped wires around a few time, same result each time. I then used the same lug and joint to put the Fralin in (and also re tried the stock pup)