1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Changing a P bass pick guard.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wallygator, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

I have never attempted this task so before I risked any major complications i will ask.

Is it simply removing the volume and tone knobs, the input jack nut and then the pick guard screws? add the new pick guard replace knobs and input nut replace screws and its done?

Just didn't want to remove the pick guard and find out I would need other tools or what have you.

Cheers

2. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

You've got to remove the pickguard first, then you can remove everything.. you might need to desolder some wires from the pups, don't know what you are up to

3. David Jayne

David Jayne

That's pretty much it. To do it really pro you'd need a nut driver or two for the pot nuts, but most folks use pliers which is fine but be careful. A big slip up could cause you to scratch something.
    Be careful attaching the pots to the new one so you don't pull or pinch any wires.
    Don't go too crazy tightening things down- the parts are fairly easy to strip.

4. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Check the line up of the pickguard screw holes. Depending on when it was made and by who, all the holes may not line up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kedo

kedo

Remove knobs from pots (either push-on or set-screw type...) Then remove nuts that secure output jack and tone/vol pots. I do this first because sometimes the stiffness of the connecting wires holds the pots/jack somewhat in place during the procedure. Sometimes not...Then remove pickguard screws. Attach pots/jacks to new pickguard. Put new pickguard on bass, but I like to only screw in the screws nearest the jack, then I check to make sure the electronics work. If all is good, insert remaining screws. Good luck.

7. workdaddy

workdaddy Supporting Member

The only potential issue here loosening the nuts for the pots and jack without supporting them from the backside---its possible to "spin" a pot if there is no lock washer behind it, and therefore stress or break a lead or ground wire. For this reason, I take the guard off first and hold the pot body while loosening the nut.