Changing acoustic strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NotFlea, Jan 8, 2014.

1. NotFlea

NotFlea

Got a new Takamine acoustic bass and would like to swap out the strings for tape wounds. Only problem is I can't get the string posts out (string is loose).
    I have 2 winders with attachments for posts but they are made for the smaller posts on 6 strings and won't budge these big ones.
    I don't want to hack up this new beauty- any suggestions on how to gently pull the posts?
    Many thanks!

2. BeerSuds

BeerSuds

I had the same problem, so I put a couple of layers of painters tape on pliers and very carefully pulled them out. I used new tape each peg so the teeth wouldn't start to cut through the tape.

You can also try to push them up with your hand through the sound hole, but I couldn't get them to budge at all that way.

I put flats on mine and I am now thinking of trying tapes also and dreading having to pull those little buggers again.

3. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Another trick is to use a spoon (or two). Just use it like a curved prybar.

4. stanley00

stanley00

Push the pins out from the inside with something like a deck of cards. Pretty much anything that will fit in the sound hole and won't cause any damage if you drop it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NotFlea

NotFlea

Perfect- thanks for the help!

7. bswag

bswag "What's the ugliest part of your body?" Supporting Member

I always used smooth-jawed plumber's pliers, with a few layers of rag between pin and pliers.