1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Changing Bridge from 18 to 19mm

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Jan 14, 2014.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I have A 5 sting Moon J with 18 mm spacing and my other bass is a Atelier Z J with 19 mm which doesn't feel quite as comfortable to me.
    So I'm looking at changing that 19mm existing bridge on the Atelier Z out to a 18 or 18.5mm Hipshot A style bridge.
    I'm thinking that going a little narrower might not be a big deal on the neck or on the pickup spacing.Not sure though if 18 mm might be too narrow on a neck that's designed for 19 mm.
    Has anybody here made a change like that?
    That Hipshot bridge comes in Aluminum or brass. Would there be a noticeable difference in tone or sustain?

2. bassicg

bassicg

3. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Thanks for bumping that. I just realized the title is backwards. I want to go from 19mm to 18mm

4. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Done it before with no problem and I'm looking now to do it with my 19 mm Fbass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

I'm going to get a Hipshot A style 18.5mm bridge. With that I can still make some minor adjustments. it's weird, such a small difference can make a bass feel so much better.

7. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

Yes it do. I can play 19mm but the 18mm make it easier to play with out my fingers getting stuck under the strings. I would like to get a adjustable from 19 to 18mm.