1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Changing impedance with amp on

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JonnyAngle, Jan 25, 2013.

1. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

Is it ok to unplug speaker cabs while the amp is on? I have a GK mb500
  2. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

For your amp, yes. No problem.
  3. dincz

dincz

Does your cab use a 1/4" jack or a speakon? A jack plug might short momentarily as you're pulling it out.
  4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes this is important! 1/4" CAN damage your amp easily!!! I still would not be comfortable with a speakon, but chances are slim with a speakon.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd just turn it off, it takes no time at all.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, what's the point of leaving it on? Takes 1 second to turn a switch.
  7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

I use the 1/4". I'd like to a/b a 16 ohm 210 and an 8 ohm 410(2-210s)
  8. B-string

USE THE POWER SWITCH when disconnecting or connecting cabs! Otherwise A/B'ing new amp heads may result. Just don't touch any other controls and your A/B will be successful. :)
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

You'd be better off turning it off. The tip can short to the sleeve when the plug comes out and it doesn't take long to toast an amp with a dead short.
  10. ThisBass

ThisBass

If the amp is silent which means no signal then the situation equals off state.
  11. B-string

Are you positive with this on a Class D bootstrap output? At least enough to pay for damages?
  12. dincz

dincz

Same situation - no signal no output. If you can be sure a burst of noise or something is not going to come through just as you're pulling the plug then OK. To be safer, turn down the master. But then why not just switch off?
  13. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

I killed a Yamaha BBT 500H doing just that. I thought it was in the O-F-F position but it wasn't. A tiny spark at the jack when I pulled out the 1/4" phone plug was all it took.
  14. Cadfael

Cadfael

Pulling out a 1/4" jack can produce a short cut "ZERO Ohms" for a moment.

Indefinite impedance is no problem vor a transistor power amp - but zero ohms will damage it.

A Speakon can't produce a short cut while unplugging. So it's no problem with a speakon, but a 1/4" MIGHT cause problems.

Changing the impedance while the amp is on may not be bad for the amp - but it is surely not good. So, switch it off ...