1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Changing knobs on a Modulus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by salog, Dec 6, 2012.

1. salog

salog

Alright, I think this is a pretty dumb question but I honestly don't know because I've never changed out my knobs before.

I have a Modulus Funk Unlimited and I absolutely love it. But I dislike how the bass/treble knobs don't have a midway indent. So my question is, can I change out the knobs to get ones that have a midway indent in them or are indents just part of the hardware inside the bass?
  2. elgecko

elgecko

The center detents are in the pot, not the knob.
  3. salog

salog

Is that easy to change out or should I just leave it alone and deal with no midway dent?
  4. elgecko

elgecko

They're easy enough to swap out but pots with detents are typically used in preamps that have cut and boost. Without knowing the specifics of your preamp, it's hard to say whether or not it'd work.
  5. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    How are your soldering skills?
    If the pots aren't directly attached to any circuit boards, it's very easy. If the pots are attached directly to circuit boards, it requires a bit more skill.
  6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

What preamp is in your Modulus? If it has the Aguilar OBP-1, that preamp is boost only with no cut, and that's why it has no detents--"flat" is all the way down.
  7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Even with some boost/cut preamps, like the original Musicman Stingray, the flat setting doesn't fall where the detent would be. I tried putting detent knobs on my 1-band preamp, and it didn't work right.

Just use your ears and dial in the tone you like.