Changing New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by monster6607, Nov 27, 2012.

1. monster6607

monster6607

I put on a new set of strings on my bass, not too long ago, then got a set of DR Low-Riders as back-up/the next in line. I've heard nothing but good things about the DR strings, so I'm quite anxious to try them out. But I just put a new set on.

My question is, do you wait until your strings are worn out to change them or do you change them whenever you need a new tone.

P.S. The strings I have on are nothing special, a med. gauge nickel from a local music store.

2. Ezmar

Ezmar

You can change them if you want. There's no need to wait, if you want to use the Lo riders. You might want to keep the old strings as emergency spares. They'll sound a lot different from the Stainless Steels, but It's marginally better than playing on 3 (or less) strings.

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Like Ezmar said, you can change them when ever you want. Just save the older ones, if something goes wrong or if you don't like the new DR strings.

4. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

Change them up now if you want to. Life's too short to feel guilty about bass strings that aren't quite worn out. You might love the new ones and regret not putting them on sooner.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. monster6607

monster6607

I put them on, glad I did.

Just wasn't sure if there was a unknown protocol that I needed to know. Thanks for your input.

7. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Yeah this. I have a quick load bridge too, so it literally takes me 5-10 minutes to string up flats or tapes or nickle rounds or pressure wounds or steel wounds or whatever.

10 minutes includes truss rod adjustment if needed. In the studio this is priceless for me, but its great if you get to a gig and made a huge mistake with string choices and less than optimal acoustics.

8. monster6607

monster6607

I haven't messed with the truss rod yet. I don't want to mess up the neck or break it. I do adjustments with the bridge if needed though.