Changing one guitarist for another...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by thefruitfarmer, Mar 9, 2014.

1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

It is all amicable....

I am in MD role.

One guitarist is leaving the band to move out the area and we have another local guy coming in....

One or two rehearsals before the gig on 15th March.

I have rearranged the set so the old guitarists songs are in the first half and the new guitarist will play more in the second set.

All seems good so far in.....the new guy is pretty good so no worries there....

Any thoughts, experiences, stories ?
  2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I was kinda in the same boat with my current band. Old bass player was on his way out due to health concerns and I knew one of the guitarists. He said to show up at a gig and gave me a set list. Worked it for a couple weeks and went to a gig with them. BL gave me about 4 songs. I guess I did OK cause I ended up playing about 8 songs that night. Couple weeks later , same thing. Showed up at the gig and they said they'd give me about 6 songs. After the second set the BL and bass player came up to me and asked if I wanted to do the whole last set. DUH. Old bass player wasn't feelin great and wanted to duck out early. It went great. Two weeks later I was playing my first gig with them.. That was almost two years ago and still going strong. Funny thing is , I have to this day never had a practice or rehearsal with these guys.
  3. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

All the politics is kicking off now...

Practice yesterday and another one today for the gig on Saturday.

Old guitarist wants a bit of a send off and I have been practicing "Whiskey in the Jar" with him....at practice yesterday we tried to introduce the new song and drummer is bothered that we were not copying the Thin Lizzy version...the mobile phones came out and they were playing Thin Lizzy through the mics saying "it goes like this" ...after 5 minutes of that I said " we are moving on to the other songs now"....

I really like to avoid that scenario.

New guitarist is on the same page as me though. Get the basic chords and rhythm going, learn the theme hooks and over rehearsals build up your parts according to what sounds good within your ability.

Drummer is in another band as well, a lot more professional originals band. A lot of the problems do stem from the old guitarist, who is not a particularly good player so the bass and drums are constrained by this. I find this annoying and so does the drummer....it has come to a head before our previous occasional gigs as well.

What I need to do is keep things together for the gig on Saturday, old guitarist, drummer and the pub landlord need to have their egos taken into consideration.....

It's going to be fun later on this afternoon...

I am going to have to see drummer and somehow explain that we would like to perform "Whiskey in the Jar" on saturday but that we are not going to do the Thin Lizzy version that is inside his head....

:)