1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Changing out Active Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jakripp, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jakripp

Jakripp

So I have a schector diamond series bass with emg pickups. Love the bass, I have had it for 5 years now and I have grown quite accustomed to its extended neck and frets. One problem that I keep having to deal with is the pickups. At first it kept shorting out my sound and I assumed it was the battery, but then I discovered that it was the wires. They were bound together when manufactured and I believe they are the reason why my pickups keep shorting out. So I'm basically at my wits end with these pickups and I'm considering switching them to passive pickups so I can just start anew with the bass I love. Does anyone have suggestions as to give up on the active and try to repair the wiring or just start fresh with some new pick ups. Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Are they the EMG's with the quick connector wires or the ones that need to be soldered in? You can get new quick connector wires if yours go bad, but if they're soldered in, might want to have it looked at by a local tech who could almost certainly repair it cheaper than a new set of pickups.

3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

My guess is the jack is the problem and the pickups are fine. The battery connection is made at the jack.

4. Jakripp

Jakripp

Yeah I'm assuming its the jack as well. Well I'll take it into a local shop and let them see what they think. I just don't want them trying to sell me some over priced bologna. Thanks anyways everyone!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grendle

grendle

even with solder in emg's , just cut the wire back, strip it and resolder it correctly if need be.