Changing P bass pots for Jazz Bass pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brightorangband, Oct 27, 2013.

1. brightorangband

brightorangband

This might be a dumb question but, I was going to just swap them out on my precision (need to put my favorite knobs on and jazz will work) and was wonder if that will do the job?

Thanks.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

they're the same pots! is this two different brands of basses?
  3. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

All pots are essentially the same. Knobs should be interchangeable as well.
  4. line6man

line6man

There is no such thing as "P bass pots" or "J bass pots." Back in the day, every guitar and bass at the Fender factory was wired with pots from the same parts bin. And you might speculate that the reason Leo choose those particular pots was that they were the least expensive/most readily-available of the options suitable to the application in question.

Nowadays, however, the value and taper is personal preference. Some people like 250k pots, while others like 500k. And there is fierce debate on audio versus linear taper. You'll have to decide for yourself what is best.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

Some things change, but in the end they are still the same.
  7. line6man

line6man

Not necessarily. The shaft diameter can vary. Some people get uppity about solid versus split shaft, too, but that usually doesn't matter.
  8. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

I think what the op is trying to say is he has two basses and he wants to switch knobs from one to the other but the shaft size/style is different and will not provide the opportunity to make the change of just the knobs them selves without changing the pots as well.

He wants to know if he can change the pots to which the answer is, if you know how to solder yes, if you do not, it's probably cheaper to buy the knobs you want to fit the pots on the bass you want them on.

Again just speculation as to what I think he is trying to convey.
  9. brightorangband

brightorangband

Ding Ding! That's exactly what I meant! Thank you
    My Gibson knobs on my jazz bass MIM) fit perfectly and the
    P bass (MIJ) shaft is too big. I was asking before I buy the same pots as the jazz to swap them out.