Changing pre-amp tube in a Carbine M6

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

Has anyone done so, is there much of a change like the DB750/751 or is it not too sensitive to the change?
  2. bobalu

bobalu

I have an M9, and I also play guitar owning several Fender blackface amps. Tube swaps with my guitar amps has become an obsession, and there is a real sonic result you can hear. However, the nature of the Carbine sound (clean, lots of headroom) is inherent through the circuit design. IME, the 1 pre-amp tube has little to no effect (compared to the Walkabout for example). Notwithstanding, its stupid easy to swap the tube out, just remove the cover and yank the tube. Pre-amp tubes are inexpensive, so just give it a try and hear for yourself. No big investment to try. No change that I could ever hear though.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

If you buy a tube and it doesn't make a sonic difference, at least you'll have a backup for when you need it.

I notice the difference when I use new old stock tubes. At times it is subtle, other times more dramatic. It depends on the amp. A low noise tube can help in some situations as well.

The problem with NOS tubes is that they can get very expensive. Used tubes are an option, especially when you want to try different makes. www.tctubes.com is a good honest tube reseller. As you can see, the prices can get up there.
  4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I've done it and it didn't make a difference. I'd leave it unless there is a problem.