1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Changing pups in my T-Bird

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chrls_vns, Dec 30, 2012.

1. chrls_vns

chrls_vns Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Thinking about putting some hotter pickups in my Gibson Thunderbird.. There's nothing wrong with the stock pickups, I'm just wondering whats out there.. any suggestions? I play modern rock.

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Choices are limited. Lull, Lollar, Thunderbucker, EMG, Bartolini.

I have used Gibson TB+ and Thunderbucker '66. I can't really compare them though, because Gibson and Epiphone don't really have a standard pickup location that they have stuck with over the years.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    If you are looking for hotter pickups, the Thunderbucker MAX (666) would probably work, or keep your eyes open for Gibson TB+ pups that came out of the Gibson Nikki Sixx Blackbird. Blackbird pups (at least mine) are hotter and slightly darker, very similar to the Thunderbucker MAX

4. HIaWATTha

HIaWATTha

Mar 4, 2011
    Based on all the positive words from many TB’ers I have ordered a pair of Thunderbucker Max for my -76 bird. I’m really looking forward to install them and test them, I’m sure it will be a huge improvement over the original -76 pups.