1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Changing strings every year?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fendersurfer, Jan 21, 2014.

1. fendersurfer

fendersurfer

I know this been discussed a million times. But just wanted to get some feedback.
    My main axe is a Fender Precision and last time I put on new strings (roundwound) was a year ago. I did't play many rehearsals or gigs (maybe 35-40), so I thought. Maybe I will change later, in May or something.

When playing just once a week, how often do you change strings?
  2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

If you're getting a year out of roundwounds, please share your secrets!
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo

Some players change strings for every gig, others go 10+ years on a set of strings. It is really a question of personal preference.

If you are happy with the sound and intonation, then there is no compelling reason to change, IMHO. (Disclaimer: I am primarily a flatwound player in the 10+ years club.)
  4. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

I change mine every 3 or 4 monts I like the zing of new round wounds.
  5. FourBanger

FourBanger

I only changed my Boomers because one broke, the bass never sounded as good afterwards either...
  6. fendersurfer

fendersurfer

Yes, the zing (it was never really dominant) is gone. But I did't play a lot, cleaned more than played maybe. With playing every week I would change every 9-12 months. But 2013 was quiet, maybe I keep them and change for the recording of the demo, which is planned soon.
  7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I can't say it it's a PH balance thing or what, but if I don't let other people play a bass of mine the strings last much longer. The old style DR coated strings (before the new formula strings) would last years as well, but the color tends to wear off.
  8. soulman969

soulman969

And now this makes discussion number 1,000,001. No one can tell you around here any better than what your ears and your tuner can when it's time to change strings. When they don't sound right to you and the tuner shows the strings struggling to hold pitch that's two very good signs right there. Strings will poop out even when they aren't being played so use is only one factor. There are others to consider as well.
  9. Jensby design

Jensby design

http://youtu.be/s8OYeN9mAL4 also having a bright sounding bass helps.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

I get 2-3 years out of a set of DR SS Lo Riders. I don't like new string zing.
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski

Change them when you no longer like the way they sound.
  12. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

I change the strings when:

a) Get a new bass, does not matter what but I always put a new set of strings.
    b) They cant stay in tune.
  13. kimokeo

kimokeo

Some guys have acid fingers and have to change more often than not. I use a little hand sanitizer before I play to get rid of some of the oil on my fingers. Seems to help with the frequency of string changing.
  14. catgut

catgut

Once they are floppy and thuddy they get changed. Stainless every month or so. Depends on brand. Nickels every other gig so I don't use them anymore even though fresh nickel is the most pleasing to my ears. Steel takes a few hours before they settle in. I can't do a year without string change unless I have played my bass 5 times in that year.
  15. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Its varied a lot depending on how many basses i own at the time, how much i play them and how much i pay for strings. Lately I've been finding really good deals online and change them more often. When actively gigging on the weekends i change strings every 2 weeks. When we take breaks from gigging it might only be once every 60 days. But normally atleast every 2 months. I don't like old strings so when i get sick of changing them i usually sell a bass or two and restring less basses more often. Having a 7 is a blessing because i use it to cover 3 different tunings i used on 3 different 5 strings. So that was a drop from 15 strings to 7 right there.
  16. wideload

wideload

I play rounds twice a week, and I can tell they need changing at about 6 months, but I usually procrastinate a bit, since the strings I am fond of are so damned expensive. I LIKE the zing and sustain of new rounds, so 9 months tops. And I change the battery, whether it needs it or not. :)
  17. cnltb

cnltb

I'm on the same set of strings since early december 2012.
    On that bass it works for me( 51' style P bass).
  18. hgregs

hgregs

... play frequently... i keep strings more than a year. not a fan of new string zing either. if you like how your strings sound, and intonation is decent - keep playing.
  19. braud357

braud357

When I was gigging steadily - I could play about 6 - 7 gigs before my bass would start to sound out of tune - no matter what my tuner said. They would get changed then, and PS - this was with roundwound strings.
  20. Nev375

Nev375

If you want the new string sound to last a year or so you need to pony up for elixirs or some kind of coated string.