1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Changing the bridge on a MIM fender jazz to a bad ass 2

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vulturedog, Dec 5, 2013.

1. vulturedog

vulturedog

I am thinking of "upgrading" a MIM fretless jazz. I would like to put a bad ass bridge 2 on. I was wondering if it is a just bolt on job? Or do I have to do some other modification on the body etc. any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

The top load 5 hole BA bridge is a direct drop-in replacement for the stock Fender. It'll fit fine with no prob...
  3. vulturedog

vulturedog

Thanks
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The fit is easy. Whether it's an upgrade is hotly debated. I personally don't think it is.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Then it's a dang good thing vulturedog is not considering the swap for one of your basses huh? :D:D
  6. vulturedog

vulturedog

I have a signature Geddy lee bass that has the bad ass 2 bridge and love the sound. Also heard that it helps with sustainability and resonance. Just wondering if it will "improve" my secondary bass (I use it for differnt tunings) I love the way the bass looks (sunburst) and was thinking to try and "improve" it! If it's possible or even worth my time. Just looking for input from people maybe who have done this or are in the know.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it does indeed bolt right on, but you need to file notches in the saddles for the strings to space them right.

you also need to find one, the harder task!

whether it improves anything or not is a hotly debated question around here. i'd certainly take one over a '70s fender bridge, but i'd take a '60s threaded-rod saddle fender bridge over either one.
  8. vulturedog

vulturedog

Found some on ebay black in color $75 to $100
  9. fhm555

I've got 2 highway one j basses with BA bridges on them, an MIM with a babicz bridge on it and an US Jazz plus bass with a machined Schaller bridge on it.

The BA's and Schaller were all original equipment on the basses they are on and all work well. That said, of these 4 basses I like the Babicz equipped one best of all, but only because of my kung fu death grip playing style and the fact that the strings on the Babicz feel (for lack of a better term) more planted than any other bass I own.

If you are looking to improve the sound, it's pretty much the consensus around here that there is not enough difference in tone or sustain to justify the cost of your typical aftermarket bridge. Some claim they get more sustain/richer tone, but they are in the minority. My personal opinion is it's an electric bass and I paid good money for an amp that handles my tone and sustain so I can adjust it to my liking no matter the bridge I'm using.

I'm also in the minority here about tangible benefits of an aftermarket bridge, but it is because of my choking grip playing style. When I get wound up I will drag strings out of position on any bridge that does not (by design) physically prevent me from doing so.

All that said, keep in mind it's your bass and you are the only one who has to be happy with it. The only reason you need for an aftermarket bridge is you want one. If you are looking for a different sound, (again) the consensus is pickups are the thing to look at changing to better achieve that goal.
  10. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

It's a simple swap. I did the same with a MIM jazz, and I did notice an improvement (seemed just slight fuller and meatier). You may have to get the saddles slotted though. I did it myself with a couple needle files. It worked just fine, but was a bit ugly in the end.
  11. vulturedog

vulturedog

I think that I'm not going to do anything with it! I don't like the idea of having to cut groves in it for the strings! Why don't they make them already cut you just specify your string gauge! How do they cut them at the factory or even repair store?
  12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

As mentioned already the Babicz bridge is a major engineering improvement over a badass. I would recommend you try that one or a Hipshot if you are not comfortable filing the grooves. Or just leave the stock bridge on it and rock it the way it is
  13. vulturedog

vulturedog

Thanks I'll check out those Babicz bridges they look cool
  14. fhm555

I really like mine.

Attached Files: