Changing tuning with a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GregS, Mar 31, 2014.

1. GregS

GregS

Hi Guys,

I'm brand new to this Forum and have just started a new project where I will be playing bass in a 3 piece band. I'm finding in the material that we'll be playing that I'll need to tune up or down frequently during performances. To save time, I'd like to be able to do this with a pedal. I have a Digitech BP-355 and have tried the pitch shift effect on it (adjusting the "mix" so that it's 99% effect, 1% original signal - it won't go to 100% effect). That works, but the sound is far from pristine. It produces a noticable "warble", almost like a bad chorus. Does anyone out there know of a pedal that would serve this function? I'd hate to have to haul around several basses and take the time between songs to have to change basses, or have to frequently re-tune between songs.

Thanks,
    Greg
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo

3. bassike

bassike

Why don't u get a 5 strings bass?
    You will be able to play all this without changing tuning.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

6 string bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Octave pedal.
  7. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

This has been discussed a few times already, and the community seems to agree that there isn't a good pedal to do this. I wonder if it's a real technology gap. Some members pointed out that the Eventie Pitchfactor does an OK job at 1/2 step detune: http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/Products/StompBoxes/PitchFactor.aspx

Haven't tried it yet, but it'd be a nice addition if it worked well. Anyone has experience with it to chime in ?
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Whammy. Or the new Basas Whammy coming out. Or you could just have two basses. I know you said you dont want to do that, but just having two wont be so bad. You could also just get a TC polytune and practice different tunings really fast. Or even get a Drop D tuner for a faster D.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't think there are any pedals out on the market that will do it convincingly enough for live performance. Use two basses or a 5 string and minimize the different tunings that the band plays in.

With 4 strings, if you're using Dropped D you can always get a Hipshot detuner to flip from E Standard to Dropped D very quickly. If you're using E Standard and Eb or D Standard and use two basses, coupled with the detuner that effectively gives you 4 different tunings.

A 5 string is an option if you can transpose the songs effectively. That's not always easy to do if you're playing rock or metal and require pedaling on an open note regularly.

:eyebrow:
  10. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

if you were one of my students ( and I have had to do this before ) I would make you justify your decisions, your 'need' to change your tuning

So I will put you on the spot. Why do you need to change tunings? Are there alot of openstring hammers? If not some reason you cannot play all of your songs from the lowest tuning?

1) I had this one student who insisted upon doing this double drop tuning; I forced him to realize that not only did it make his bass sound bad but he was unable also you learn any song without having to take it home and find everything. At the end of the day he gave up his desire to be synthetically unique in favor of being able to play good bass. Now he just tunes down a half step and never looked back

2) I won't say that you will never be able to find the pedal that will do this for you, but I would make a bet that it won't happen anytime soon unless not sounding terrible is not important

3) if you decide you truly need to change keys then the obvious decision is to get hipshot drop tuners. If those are too expensive or too hard to install then you need to save some money and learn how to edit your bass, or figure out a more reasonable way to play your songs ;)

A side note maybe that thing for you to do is to get a capo? Even if it is a compromise it will work a lot better than constantly re tuning and putting your neck shifting unstable environment, and A LOT better than expecting a Digitech pedal to organically detune you
  11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    if I had to do that with just one bass, i'd just install heavier strings to maintain tension and neck alignment, and tune the bass down to the lowest tuning that your band requires, then i'd just use a capo for the higher tunings.
  12. bassman134

bassman134

I have a Morpheus Drop tune that I use for a community kids theater gig. They drop the tuning quite often for the kids, and I'm provided charts so it makes transposing a PIA. Its not the most ideal sound, anything past -3/-4 sounds really warbly, though I use -4 quite often. However, I'm usually pretty low in the mix and in the context of the performance which is in a gymnasium, my tone isn't that clear to begin with.

The other caveat to a pedal like this, is you have to alter your voicing to accommodate the pitch change. The lower the note the worse the warble effect, so at -3 or -4 I wont play anything lower than a B or A (on the E string), I'll play octave up on anything lower.

That said, the amount of time saved on transposing sheet music makes it worth it, for me anyhow.
  13. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Nothing is going to be perfect. I've seen guitar players use a Morpheus droptune with decent results, but as bassman134 just said - if you go below a 4th half step, good luck.

I use the pitch shifter in the M5 for this and it works adequately for half step or whole step drops. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a good clean octave pedal (maybe the Micro Pog) and transpose up for the super deep stuff, if that's what you're missing.
  14. jefkritz

jefkritz

Media:
    Albums:
    get hipshot d-tuners (or similar) for every string. if you need more than two notes per string, this will not work...
  15. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

The Pitchfactor tracks pretty well (not much if any warble) but the processed signal is pretty squashed sounding compared to the dry signal.
  16. GregS

GregS

Thanks for the replies everybody - sounds like there's no "good" option. I do have a 5 string bass, so the lower notes aren't a problem. I just like to play using open strings if the original used open strings. That requires changing tunings to whatever the original bassist used. But I'm not willing to create the dead spots in the show so I can change basses or re-tune every string. Oh well. Guess I've got some woodshedding to do! Thanks again!
  17. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

For full songs i would get a bass with more strings(look at my picture, i take my own advice) I have used the whammy IV in the past and I'm waiting on the bass whammy to come in the mail. Real whammy pedals can do it better than anything else I've tried but i wouldn't use it for an entire song. At most just a section of a song.

A capo is actually a good option. Just tune to bass to the lower tuning and use the capo. 4th vs 5ths when it comes to drop or standard don't really matter to me. I always tune in 4ths anyways. Main guitar tuning in my band is drop B (BF#BEG#C#) and i tune standard