1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Character of basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Champagne, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Champagne

Champagne

Hello Everyone,

I have a question:

How do you determine if you have a quick or slow responding bass? Is it in the initial attack then sustain?

My spirocore mittles seem to be deadening up on me and was looking to change them. When I say deadening, the tone is starting to fall away. The low-mids presence and attack of it has faded away. I've had these on my bass for about a year and to make sure I wasn't screwing with my head, I listened to the first recordings I made when I got the bass which the strings were about 3 weeks old.

Reading about strings I read this:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f17/spirocore-weich-vs-mittel-question-519123/#post7006885

So, if this is spot on, what are the qualities of a fast responding bass vs slow? I am intrigued. My bass "roars with arco" so does this mean I have a tight bass? My bass is an 80's romanian flat back solid wood (spruce/maple)

Here is a sample of how it currently sounds:
    http://woodcreststudio.com/samples/UB_Sample.mp3

There are 2 separate recordings in that file and they were recorded a little differently due to the context of the other instruments in the arrangements, but I hope you can help me understand if this is a loose or tight bass.

Curious to your thoughts.