1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Characteristics of a great drummer...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shadven, Dec 4, 2013.

1. shadven

shadven

The best bands I have played in have had a great drummer. A drummer who is the orchestra leader... the conductor from behind the drums. Of course everyone needs to have the arrangements down, but the drummer is the one leading the charge and driving the band. When the bridge is coming up or the ending, the drummer lets everyone know. A great drummer plays with confidence and knows how to push the beat, play behind the beat and play on the beat.
    A drummer can have great chops, have all their rudiments down, can play a solid solo, but if the confidence and song structure is not ingrained, the song will never become magical.

2. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I agree with the things you've said.

Something I really appreciate is a drummer who uses consistent kick drum patterns. This may seem trivial, but I used to play with a drummer who would change the kick patterns throughout the song (e.g. plays Chorus 1 one way, Chorus 2 a slightly different way), or would use one pattern for a song at one gig, then change it the next gig.

I suppose that comes down to chops and consistency, but I just find when it's the kick drum specifically it is really hard to lock in and find a groove on some songs.

3. shaft311

shaft311

Great drumming.

4. shaft311

shaft311

That is the truth. I can't stand that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shadven

shadven

Absolutely. Consistent kick drum pattern for sure.

7. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Check out the guy in my sig.

8. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

The Ability to count to four in the same cadence.