Charity or "for the kids" parts/scrap builds?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by christw, Apr 15, 2011.

1. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    Two threads in one day!? I must be crazy!

I was thinking how a lot of us have spare parts laying around that we hardly look at, let alone use. I know that bodies, necks, and electronics might sit for up to years before I even remember that I have it or think of using it. I have 3 guitar bodies, 1 guitar neck, 1 bass body, 1 crappy bass neck, and an acoustic that could be salvaged that I know I won't ever get to using.

My idea is this: What if a couple of people throw in their parts and a couple of TBers assemble them into playable instruments for charity, kids who can't afford instruments, or some good cause. Basically, just recycling the excess that we already have and don't use. I'm not saying they need to be gorgeous but if we can shim a neck, wire up some new pots, and put a smile on someone's face, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't.

If something to this sort already exists, point me that way! If not, who thinks it's a decent idea?

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Altruistic endeavors are a great idea, and there are some that might have throw away parts for such a project, personally I don't. I run a business, and do builds for needy players every christmas, I think if you can find some quality builders and honest contributors, it could be doable, the problem is finding the parts and a builder with enough extra time. Good Luck.

3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    I don't blame you for not throwing away the parts. It's your business, that's cool by me.

I know that I'm fortunate enough to have some killer gear at my young age and I also have of parts that I'd probably throw away but figured I'd try to repurpose. (A plywood Hondo P body to my left is one of them.)

My general intent was to put together a couple of bolt-on basses or guitars if people had cheapie necks/bodies laying around. I've no issue doing the assembly/wiring/setups. I'm willing to put in the effort there. It's the woodworking/finishing stuff that I don't know how to do which with my intent, shouldn't be much of an issue.

4. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Cold Hearted Orb That Rules The Night... Supporting Member

I can offer build time, tools and experience.:cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    That's what I like to hear! :D

I know this is still just the beginning of this idea but I'd love to see some instruments through if nothing else. :smug:

I'm still trying to gather spare parts locally via CL. That's how I ended up with most of what I have already.

7. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a few bridges

8. Tracebassplayer

Cool, that will give time to finish my Spector NS-2J restoration.... :)

9. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro

Disclosures:
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I might have some MEC pickups pulled from a Warwick.

10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I can throw in a couple of preamps

11. jworrellbass

jworrellbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I would be more than happy to supply some pickups.

12. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    What I have are 2 4 string no name bridges 1 chrome and one black and one black "B" style bridge with gold/brass saddles...t

13. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    I've already had one local music organization contact me after just reading my post about guitar parts and repurposing. They have two "thrashed" guitars and want to talk to me about it. More to come on that Sunday!

Yay! I might be able to do some good quickly! :D

Also guys, I'm glad that there's so much support. That's what I love about TB. Lots of good people!

So, should we make a list of who has what and who is willing to put stuff together?

14. Tracebassplayer

ABSOLUTELY :cool:

I'm in for assembly, setup, repair (mechanical and electronics).

15. TomA1234

TomA1234

I would like to help but I am in the UK so it would probably send costs through the roof.:(
    (I probably lack the experience required as well)

16. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    See if there's anything you can help with locally then! I was just looking at putting together bolt-on bodies and necks, adding hardware, and doing wiring as necessary. No woodworking required. A screwdriver and basic soldering skills suffice.

I'm going to be trapped at work until 6 or 7 this evening and then talk to that local dude about what his after school program is all about. I'm really hoping it's the kind of thing I'm looking to help out with because immediate results are always cool!

For a little organization, we have:

Tracebassplayer - Assembly, setup, repair
    christw - assembly, setup, repair
    TomA1234 - UK work??

tjclem - bridges
    FBB Custom - Warwick pickups
    UncleFluffy - preamps
    jworrellbass - pickups
    christw - 3 guitar bodies, 1 guitar neck, 1 bass body, and one bass worth of hardware (4 tuners, bridge, J wiring harness, P pickup)

Edit/Update: Good news. I talked to the guy on the phone for about 20 minutes. He's worked with a couple of families that can't afford guitars before so this seems like it might be right up his alley! I'm going to go meet him at his shop tomorrow and talk some more. Cool!

17. TomA1234

TomA1234

I also don't have much income (no job), so won't easily be able to afford parts.:(

But, if others buy the parts I will be more than happy to assemble them and do a rough set up, I have some experience in those areas. :)

18. Tracebassplayer

19. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Progress locally has been a little slow because I've been super busy. However, I'll keep you guys up to date with things. I really do appreciate the immediate support but I've got to get my feet on the ground before I can get ahead of myself. ;)

20. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I've been trying for years to get something like this off the ground over here in Pittsburgh and have already provided instruments to a few kids in need. I've right now got an SX P bass neck and tuners that I could probably part with, as well as a fender squier bridge that's a bit scuffed up and a pair of jazz bass pickups. The jazz pickups might not be workable though because when I got them the leads had been clipped right at the contact points, so it might be tough to resolder them without damaging the wire used for the wrap. I'm also down to do setups, electronics and basic rebuilding work, just no intensive woodworking as I don't have much in the way of tools right now. If anyone needs to complete an instrument for someone that they have in mind and need these parts, PM me. Also if anyone would like to branch out into other instruments, my roommate is a drum builder who works with me on this a bit.

21. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Awesome! I'm trying to figure out a way to be able to use everyone's ability on this but it might just need to be pretty individualized local effort on the parts of those interested in doing work. (Dang it! >.<) We'll see though. So, this guy has a small workshop room (certainly more than what I have!) that he just needs to clean and currently wants to see if he and I can do some pretty serious repairs on his beater acoustics. I could do a lot of good to some beaten up electrics in there. I could put together a beater fretless P as soon as I can source a router to borrow.