Charlie Colin (Train) ... anyone else dig him?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by James Hart, Mar 6, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been aware of the band for the last couple years... just good ole 'contemporary adult'ish guitar pop/rock.

I've really started to notice not only Charlie's killer tone (makes me want to play a flatwound wearing semi-hollow body with a pick), but his tastey lines... always up-front & melodic AND supportive & groovy. Most times, you can strip the song away leaving just bass and still be caught bobbing your head and tapping your foot to it yet I never get the impression he's wanking or blowing chops.

Some of my favorites are 'Mississippi' & 'She's on Fire' & 'Whipping Boy' from Drops of Jupiter, 'I am' & 'Meet Virginia' from their self titled and 'Following Rita' & 'Calling all Angels' from My Private Nation.

check the band's site here

2. MacheteJames

MacheteJames

He's a great, tasteful player. He's actually a guitarist as well, I believe.

3. HooBass

HooBass

Every day during my commute I listen to the dozen or so songs that get overplayed on pop radio at any one time. Every once in a while a bassist will stand out to my ears.

I've not been familiar with this guy's name, but indeed I noticed his basslines. They're everything described above. Supportive AND noticeable all at the same time. Neat trick!

And, to boot, he seems to do it consistently!

HooBass

4. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Exactly Guys!

Even if not a fan of the style, I think he is a 'must listen to' bassist for being upfront and holding the bottom.

I know he's listed as bass & guitar on the newest release, and I don't really know much about the guy other then the 3 Train discs and a brief web search or 2... but whatever his means are, the results are some tastey lines

(btw: I'm a bassist, but also play guitar as do a lot of us here)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

I'm around Erie, PA which is where Train came from so I hear them more than nessicary. Frankly, I disgusted with their souless brand of music, but that's just me. I'm sure the bassist is good. Usually bands like train have "good" bassists. But I'd rather have feeling behind my music, thanks.

7. MacheteJames

MacheteJames

You may not like them, but is it necessary to come into someone else's thread and take a crap all over it? Your handle suits you.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Don't fret it! We've all got our own opinions.

Hey Matt, some of us dig emotions other then Hate and Anger ;)
    My old man spent some time in Erie, PA on business years back... I feel for you.

9. cassanova

cassanova

I'd love to check out some of his work but I wouldnt know what to listen to. *Hint Hint* drop me the names of some tunes

10. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    ;)

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

My cover band plays "Calling All Angels", and let me tell you, its a very unique bass part, with a refreshing approach that is unique to anything else I've played over the years, and that's literally hundreds and hundreds of pop tunes. You can't really appreciate that part by just listening to it, you need to play it to really understand what I'm talking about.

12. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

I still remember the first time I heard Drops of Jupiter. It was an epiphany. I bought that disc the first day it was in the stores and consider it a rock classic. Charlie is someone I listen to as a vehicle to expand my "bass brain". The fact that he's also a guitarist can he heard in his lines. But somehow it works for him. Great band. Great bass player.

I don't want to crank up the haters again, but here goes.
    Pat Monahan, lead vocals and principle songwriter in the group has written a song on each of the last 2 albums in tribute to his mother, who passed on to the next plane some time ago. "When I Look to the Sky" and "Let it Roll" were both hits for the band. I doubt that was a carefully contrived move by the band and record company to cash in. More likely, the public (including me) heard a very from the heart song written beautifully and performed flawlessly. I have no experience in this arena but I would presume that it's hard to sing a song of love to your dead mother without feeling or emotion.........
    Fo'

13. SteveC

SteveC

I know, thread resurrection. I was watching them on Palladia the other day and really thought he sounded good. The whole band did. I love that channel.

14. MarkMcCombs

MarkMcCombs

I think the concert you saw on tv recently, if it was the same one I saw aired in the last coupla weeks, had Johnny Colt on bass. A great player, for sure, but it's not Charlie Colin. I really miss Charlie's playing. I'll google him from time to time to see what he's up to; doesn't look like much.

off to find a dvd of train with Charlie...

15. Lync

Lync

I liked the first 2 train albums best, but I am watching them on palladia now and they still sound good. Didn't the singer fire most of the band after the third album came out (hence the dismissal of Charlie)?

I saw them in a club on the tour for the first album and they were great with the bluesy/Zeppelin vibe. Then I saw them on the second tour and they were good again with the bassist playing a hollowbody.

I like Johnny Colt since the days of the early Crowes, but it is a shame when bands change members so frequently. He has a great bass tone with what looked to be a CS Fender Jazz on Palladia.

16. MarkMcCombs

MarkMcCombs

I'm not sure about the singer firing everyone; I think he and the guitarist are original members. yeah, Johnny Colt is good, but he doesn't have the same interesting lines/ideas that Charlie had. I really wish Charlie would end up on the rock scene again. Charlie?

Mark

17. pingping

pingping

He didn't actually get fired. The band gave him an ultimatum back in 2003-Go to rehab and get better or leave the band for good. He attempted to go but it was a failed attempt.

Over the past several years, he's been in and out of rehabs-relapsing every time he would leave...very sad

He has collaborated with Tom Luce and worked on one of Ashley Simpson's movies.

On a better note, he now has a 2 year old daughter and splits his time between Park City, UT and L.A.

18. GeoBass

GeoBass

All you have to do is listen to recent Train efforts to hear they are not the same band without Charlie's incredibly melodic bass lines that make the songs tie together. Certain band members bring a flair to songs (Jeff Porcaro's drumming in Toto, Carlos Santana's guitar sound, etc). Charlie's tone and style are very underrated. (IMHO). "Calling All Angels" is a great example of his tone/styling....incredible

19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I've seen them a few times.. very well produced band.. they do spectrum and activity to the max.

It's nice to see them charting again.. must have been a good booster from headlining festivals to mid sized clubs.. hopefully they'll bounce back again.

20. mkeeling

mkeeling

I met Charlie after a show in '95 and picked his brain on his live sound as well as his recorded sound, he told me he had a bit of built -in distortion through his combo amps was the key to his sound, told me to try an older combo amp and I should achieve this sound with the volume up a bit, I thought that was interesting but a good idea, never even thought of that.

21. TopBoost323

TopBoost323

Thread resurrection again.

Anyone know what Charlie is up to now?

Anyone know the specifics of his Train-era gear besides his Gretsch? Amps, pedals, etc?