Charlie Haden speaks....

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

2. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

His playing with Ornette is truly amazing. A living legend.

3. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware, and this is so sad. What a magnificent human being.

--Steve

4. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Tragic, sorry to hear. I have so much respect for the man and the bassist.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

And, very cool of him to drop Red Mitchell's name for hooking him up with Hampton Hawes.

EDIT: According to an article I read, swallowing has become so difficult, that the poor cat hasn't been able to eat solid food for two years.

7. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Prayers for Charlie and family...

8. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    He is a courageous person and artist. I wish him all the best- get well, Charlie!

9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Man, I barely made it through his speech...

Its a shame that his childhood disease has returned to haunt him in the last years of his life. At least his open-hearted spirit remains.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I like what he had to say:
    "If you strive to become a good human being, with the qualities of generosity, humility, and having reverence for life, just maybe you'll become a great musician." Charlie Haden

11. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

That's the quote that jumped out at me, too. And like you I typed it up so I could remember it. "Lifetime achievement" never seemed so fitting.

How cool that he namechecked Scott LaFaro after all these years; I know they roomed together and played with a number of the same musicians. But what a lasting impact his friendship with Scotty must have had; we are so lucky to have the last 52 years of amazing music out of Charlie Haden!

--Steve

P.S. Interesting to hear him pronounce those two legendary names from the famous Bill Evans trio, too: Paul Motian and Scott LaFaro. I'm always interested in the different way people pronounce certain names. Charlie knew and played with these guys, so I'm going with him. I've heard lots of people say Paul Mo-TEE-un and Scott La-FAIR-oh. Not critical of them; I just find it interesting. Charlie said Mo-SHUN, and La-FAR-oh.

12. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

Wow. I'm holding back the tears. That was really touching. What a gracious person.

13. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I'm not holding back the tears. I also feel sad, but it's good to know Charlie is still teaching. And his music, his art is so inspirational. If you haven't heard his work with pianist Hank Jones, Steal Away and particularly the 2012 album of black spirituals "Come Sunday," check them out--he's such a master of the lyrical bass line (ironically, as he stated here, it was polio that led him to stop singing and to pick up the bass). Peace and love, Charlie.

14. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

A truly courageous person and down to earth guy, not to mention, one of a kind bass player. I got to meet him a few years ago when he came up to us, a bass/gtr duo, at a nice hotel here and sat in on a tune, Alone Together. He had been here recording his family country album and chatted for a few minutes and had to take off for the airport. We had broached the subject of Scotty and he really wanted to stay and talk more("ooh, my best friend"), but time was not on our side. One quick meeting I won't forget.

15. damonsmith

damonsmith

It is sad. It is nice that he made some good albums again in recent years.

16. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

That's too bad. Great bassist indeed. I got turned on to him via his collaboration with Ginger Baker and Bill Frisell in the Ginger Baker Trio.

17. MR PC

MR PC

18. damonsmith

damonsmith

Awesome.

19. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Much love to Charlie... Changed my whole approach to bass (electric and upright), and was so gracious when I heard him and got to meet and talk with him back in 2002 when he was playing with Kenny Barron in Atlanta at Clayton State College. A transformative concert in many ways... Recover soon, Charlie... that big sound is something only you own!

20. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

It's good to hear that things appear to be improving.

Before I stumbled across this post, I had - literally - spent today with nothing but Charlie Haden on various recordings playing in the background. I was thinking how his playing and approach to music has been, very much unconsciously and by osmosis, such a big influence on my own playing. So watching that speech was difficult.

21. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Administrator

Media:
    Beautiful. Just beautiful.