1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

CHARVEL Bass owners, part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jun 20, 2012.

1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. amimbari

amimbari

talk about the wrong time to close the thread for hitting 1000...lol,

BUT since you did and made a new one, the uses will come on over soon enough.

3. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I still use my white 86 3B! If I can figure out how, i will post pics...

4. amimbari

amimbari

post them as an attachment or use photobucket or equivalent and use the link that has the [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Buddhaful

Buddhaful

Just got this on ebay. My first venture into the Charvel bass market (in many years of being in the bass market). Would be thrilled if this rivals my 80's 707 Ibanez Roadbass, but not planning on it. After a bunch of research it sounds like the biggest criticism is the pickups, so I'm thinking the active EMG's (same as I have in my Ibanez) will make it stand out!

The title of the listing has the correct model 2B even though the description inaccurately says model 3B.

Some on the Charvel/Jackson forum even seem to the think the 2B has some better build quality than the neck-thru 3B....thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320948189642#ht_500wt_1182

7. amimbari

amimbari

so you bought it...congrats. yes that is a 2b. I think with all the other mistakes he made in the description he forgot to change it because I pm'ed him to tell him it was a 2 not a 3..lol

Date Time Revised Information
    Jul-18-12 16:08:08 PDT
    Title

as far as the emg's....i dunno. They did not use the 2 band eq only tone so again... i dont like that setup. if it was mine I would probably sell the emg set and put the oem jacksons back in, then the j2000 preamp and use a stacked pot for the bas/treb so ther would not be another hole.

(but that's me ) :)

8. Vain1

Vain1

Congrats on the 2B, as far as the quality, I have 3 3B's and absolutely dig them...built like tanks and sound great. Amimbari could give a good comparison as he has both the 2B and 3B but my guess is the quality would be similar on both.:cool:

9. amimbari

amimbari

oh I like your sig "secret society" and when the neckthrus are getting about 2x the price, to me the difference is minimal

10. Vain1

Vain1

Shhhhh...its a secret.:D

11. Buddhaful

Buddhaful

Thanks for the feedback you two. I'm a bit technically challenged, but I get what you are saying about the 2 band eq...at least I think I do because my ibanez 707 roadbass has 4 knobs...which I'm assuming indicates a 2band eq.

I guess I'll just have to wait and find out when I get it and can compare how it sounds to my ibanez.

So I guess between your 3 3B's you have a 9B Vain :bassist: ?

Thanks again!

12. amimbari

amimbari

hahaha if that adds up to a 9b then I must have a 80b?

and ya I dont honestly know what it will sound like, you may like the difference, and naturally I DO have a emg bass with only the tone knob and I think is sounds crummy compared to separate bass/treb controls. I was saying a stackknob config because on my main 2b's I didn't care and drilled the extra hole for the final knob when I put a j2000 jackson pre in it:

( ya I'm a lefty, but can play the rightys flipped and do quite often in the studio )

[​IMG]

13. Vain1

Vain1

Yeah, if anyone is gonna have 26.666....3B's it would be you.:cool:

14. amimbari

amimbari

actually, in all the stuff that passed thru here I only had 4 total. a red one a purple one that lavacrackle and now the rainbow..2b's well I had a lot of those.

15. GYMusic

GYMusic

I've had a 4b put away for few years and decided to pull it out and play it. It's got flat wounds on it. I don't remember what they are. I want to put some new ones on it. I opened up a set of Fender flats (9050L) that I had and they're too short, but I like the gauge (.45 - .100). What flat wounds do you guys use?

TNX

16. amimbari

amimbari

as for me GYMusic? never did, never will on any of my basses. others will chime in with their string choices I'm sure.

and what color is your 4b?

17. GYMusic

GYMusic

Off white like the one above. I'll get a picture up tomorrow.

18. amimbari

amimbari

cool, I love white and I'm always into seeing similar models :)

that lefty in the other picture is a model 2 but this is a model 4 in white :)
    I don't have the concert-V anymore but still have the model 4
    [​IMG]

Birdbrain likes this.
  19. GYMusic

GYMusic

Pix

Attached Files:

Birdbrain likes this.
  20. amimbari

amimbari

oh wow that looks pretty clean and has my "pet peeve" missing TR cover...lol

21. GYMusic

GYMusic

It's very clean. There isn't a ding on it. I've got the cover... had to slightly tweak the rod.

Like I said, this bass has been asleep for years. I just started playing in an original band and didn't want to take any of my other basses, so I pulled this puppy out and was pleasantly surprised. Lots of tone choices. No neck dead spots. Tons of sustain. I'm playing it through a 1966 Fender Bassman (AB165) head and an Ampeg SVT 4x10 HEN cab. It sounds fabulous!