Cheap aftermarket jazz bass bodies on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stickynotes, Apr 4, 2014.

1. stickynotes

stickynotes Supporting Member

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm curious too. I saw these when I was searching for a decent, but inexpensive Jazz body for a potential parts-bass project. Whether they're from a Japanese factory or not, I doubt we'll ever know for sure. That being said, for $70 plus shipping? That might be worth a gamble.
  3. gpz550

gpz550

New guy posting here but have been around the block and then some modifying, building, etc. Jazzes and P basses.

I have seen those low price bodies you mentioned; usually very light weight, and attractive vintage colors. Beware though, I bought a P body and the control route was off and there was no tunnel for the bridge ground wire. I never got to seeing if the neck pocket was right. Too bad because the paint (poly of course) was a sweet yellow/cream color. Another lesson learned along the way...
  4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I've bought a couple. The neck pockets have been "generous," but I was able to attach the necks without much fuss. Pickguards don't match anything I've tried.
  5. stickynotes

How did everything line up? I guess you're saying neck joint was a little loose. Were you satisfied overall with the craftsmanship and sound? Thanks
  6. Wesley R

Wesley R

I had two in Gold, one P, one J, dumped them for around $50 - $60 or so. No fault of theirs, just the project didn't work out well (Time, etc.)

The neck pocket on the J required just a fraction of an inch of wood removal to fit the neck. the J body had just a hint of rough spot about the size of a nickel on the upper bout.

The neck pocket on the P was perfect, and the finish was fine.

Being realistic they are what they are. They are not $300 bodies with a $100 bridge, and $200 pups. They do work, and might be a cool platform for learning and upgrading.

They both looked cool with narrow J necks in maple.
  7. stickynotes

To follow up I got one for $69 and had to send it back. The neck pocket was too small for my 2000 mia jb neck. I could have probably opened it up some but worse, the holes for the 4 neck screws did not line up with the holes in my neck. They didn't even line up well under the neck plate holes. (the neck plate that came with the body) Bottom line, I'd stay away.
  8. Rebopmass

Rebopmass

Damn i just bought a white one and a neck for it. No holes drilled on neck so maybe I'll be okay. Has any
  9. braud357

braud357

I bought one of their P-Bass bodies a couple of months ago. I had a Squier Precision Bass Special neck lying around (Jazz nut width), so I said "what the heck". I bought a gold one, and modified the headstock to Tele shape. The neck pocket had to be opened up a bit, but I ended up with a good, tight fit. I also had to shim the neck to get the action where I wanted it. What I ended up with is a solid, good sounding bass for around $90 ! This bass has the best action of all of my Fender and Squier basses. The quality is very good for the price - and, yes - I have a picture !! The neck holes lined up with no problems, and intonation was easy to set up without any radical adjustments. I also installed a new simulated bone nut and, since this picture was taken - have installed a Squier CV bridge with the large brass saddles.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    Rebopmass likes this.
  10. Rebopmass

Rebopmass

I'll have a pic soon as it arrives. I may change pups or at least put whit or cream colored covers on it