1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cheap analogue synths??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Can anyone recommend a quality analogue synth that isn't a complex soft-ware editing nightmare, for under $1500??

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Korg Monotron ;)

actually their Volca Series or monotribe could be an interesting solution as well.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Poly 800 from the 80's ? Pretty simple. Moog killer mod for it is interesting.

4. over_the_moon

over_the_moon

Novation Bass Station II does cool stuff and is easy to use. $499.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Korg MicroKorg Vocorder $400

7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

My speakers are pretty busted, so how is it in terms of sound?? Does it have that "organic" quality that 70s synths had??

8. panamonte

panamonte

Akai Miniak http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MAAW4U

3 VCOs, 2 LFOs, 16 different filter types, vocoder etc. etc. Have a look here for all the specs:

http://www.akaipro.com/product/miniak

A very versatile synth which will come up with pretty much any sound you're after once you've got your head round the basic principles of analog synthesis. And you can pick them up at a price well under your budget. Highly recommended.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Get a Korg MS-20 DIY Kit.
    No Soldering and you can amaze your friends that you built it yourself.

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Yes... You can get some good Moog-type sounds out of it. There's many preset sounds, but also alot of knobs to dial in a wide variety of tones. It is an analogue synth. You can get everything from trippy deep space sounds to synthy orchrestral sounds to the Moogy tone.

I've spent more time twiddling the knobs experimenting with it's sound capabilities than actually using it on recordings. Endless fun.

11. keb

keb

Korg MS-20 Mini. Slightly-smaller clone of the original (meaning no software menus whatsoever), 600 bucks street.

12. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

Ensoniq ESQ-1's are fairly cheap (I often see them for less than $350) ...the filters are nearly the same as those in Prophet 5 synths. Think early 1980's brassy cutting patches. Also its quite easy to understand synthesis as its pretty modular, but not in a confusing way. 3 oscillators, agressive analog LP filter, and amplitude modulation (ring mod!)

Korg DSS-1 sounds like liquid and has HUGGGGEEEE unison basses. HUGGGGEEEE!!! Also check out the Korg DW synths, they are similar but have the advantage of being able to filter oscillate (a very 1970s/ minimoog-ish thing to do). Oscillators can be any sampled wave, twin DDL (2 digital delays, they are nice!), 2/4-pole LP filter (insta-liquid!), filter sweeps easily with a joystick, as above the unison basses are thick! Its a monster in size tho

Roland Juno's seem to be overpriced and collector's items, so I'd veer from looking at those seriously.

...Virus, Moog, DSI synths, modular options too, Shruthi (super nice!)

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

+1...however...if you are a total synth newbie like me, the Korg can be confusing. IMO the presets arent all that useful and unless you have some knowledge about how they work, it can be daunting. This is my experience anyway, YMMV.

14. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The microkorg is NOT analog. It's digital modeling analog. But Korg does do real analog these days. They have the excellent MS20 mini and are getting ready to release a version of the old Arp Odyssey. Moog still does analog. So does Studio Electronics, their ATC-1 is amazing. For your $1500 you can pick up used real analog all day long. Or you can get a sweet analog modular system in eurorack. I'd also say look at some of the MFB stuff, their designs sound really good.

15. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I have the Alesis Micron which has the same engine. But they are both digital "analog modeling" synths.

I switch between using my Micron and using plugins, but it would be awesome to have a Prophet, or some true analog beast that could do polyphonic.

That being said, the Akai Miniak/Alesis Micron does have some nice sounds:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12413136&q=hi&newref=1

16. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I like analog synths, so I'm looking up the suggestions here. Many of them are NOT analog, though I don't doubt they sound good. Vintagesynth lists the DSS-1, ESQ-1, and DW 8000 as digital. Microkorg - which I really like-has already been pointed out. Nothing wrong with digital, but it's akin to somebody lookign for a tube amp on the Amps forum getting a load of recommendations for "tube sim" pedals instead.

The Volcas seem pretty cool, and the mini MS-20 is cheaper than a used, old analog synth. Great to hear they're working on an ARP Odyssey reissue. Vintage synths have gotten too expensive for my budget, and I hate buying such fragile gear on Ebay. The two I have are on the low end still, but much more than I paid. Sequential Circuits Pro-One and an Akai AX60. I find the Akai more fun, and having MIDI it's easier to integrate into a modern rig.

My guitar player had a Sequential Circuits Six-Track that was pretty cool until it succumbed to years of abuse and neglect. Has MIDI and a sequencer.