Cheap and decent microphones to record bass, guitar and drums

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Gonzo476, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

I need a pair of microphones to record these instruments. I would be using them with an Alesis iO2 going into a Mac.

2. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

I'm gonna jump in here... Rode make a pencil hyper cardiod called an NT-3.

It's an incredibly versatile mic, and has a huge bottom end, and the high are not at all brittle... I have used them on all the instuments you mentioned with fantastic results... even when other much more expensive ones were available (I know them very well).
    Also they can be internally powered with a 9V in case phantom is unavailable or puts too much load on the device supplying it !
    just my 2 cents...

3. morgansterne

morgansterne

where are you recording? live at a show or in your practice spot? why are you recording? what's your budget? are there vocals too?
    people will tell you that two mics is not enough, but for recording your practices it will be fine.

You could invest in two sm57's. Not designed to mic a whole room, but they'll serve you well for certain duties even if you buy super nice mics later.

4. Chromer

Chromer

Just about any reasonable pair of condenser cardoids or omnis will do, the real trick is to put them in the right place! (Lots of placing, playing, listening and moving involved.)

The 57's would work in a pinch and you can get a used pair for $100, but you'll need a lot of preamp gain which might be an issue with your interface. They also roll off the bottom end strongly, so the bass and kick may be lacking.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chromer

Chromer

Are you recording "the room" or are you doing individual parts? Because is youre doing individual parts, then a 57 is a go-to mic for close miking guitar amps, will be fine for a bass cab mic when combined with di bass, and is a fine choice on snare drum too.

7. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I'm going to disagree with some of the other folks in here that have suggested using SM57's. You are needing a pair of mics to capture DRUMS, bass AND guitar. The 57 is a great cab mic on guitar, but not my choice for bass mic (though many would say in a pinch it can get the job done). It is also a good mic for certain areas of the drum kit (especially the snare), but that only leaves you one mic left over so.......

I would go 2 large diaphragm mics. Here are my reasons:

1. You can stereo the room and or individual instruments (hard to stereo drums with one room mic and a 57 on the snare).

2. The large diaphragm mics work well with the drums, and can be effective cab mics or acoustic instrument mics.

3. You do still have DI's available for many bass and guitar amps (or affordable DI's that can still get the job done)

4. You have very capable vocal mics now available too when the time comes.

5. Because I said so.

OK, #5 wasn't really a reason but if you're looking for the bang for buck factor you can't go wrong with this choice. Remember, the pawn shop is your best friend. I've picked up some $750 (new mics) for less than $200 (used). There are also the budget condensers available too. Don't be afraid to try a Nady mic ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Nady-SCM-900-Condenser-Mic-277123-i1127187.gc ). If you're not running a million dollar studio, and money is tight you work with what you can afford. Phantom power may be an issue, but there are inexpensive ways around that too. EQ's and Plugin's on the DAW you're using can get you very close to the sound you're wanting. You just want something that can get as close to the sound you're hearing as you can. I don't think you'll be unhappy with this choice.

Again, huge fan of the 57.............I use them live and in the studio. But with this scenario......2 large condensers will do more.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

+1
    Way more if you get the condensors with multiple polar patterns.

9. I had a large number of omni/cardioid large diaphragm mics. Like most chinese mics, they're bright sounding but have a wide frequency response. There are four in the mic box. They're great sounding mics on grand piano, double bass, guitar cabs and of course drum. I always smile when a new sound op ignores them and grabs a 57 for the guitars, and selects a pencil shaped mic for overheads. You can buy these for the same price as a 57, and there really is no contest. On my bass cab, I really can hear the top end (even at my age) when one of these is on them as opposed to the usual 57. I also quite like the sound of the AKG 112 on my bass cab. Lots of people don'tlike them for kick drum (I do) so don't pick it from the mic box, but I'm happy with them. A 57 is fine - I don't object to the sound - probably because it already sounds like what the soundman will do to my sound if they use a better mic, eq wise!

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Since You're in Europe, people have had decent success with the bargain price offerings of the large diapragm mics from Thomann:
    http://www.thomann.de/es/cat.html?gf=microfonos_de_membrana_grande&oa=pra

Choices for all kinds of price ranges.

This obviously assuming that You just record with these, if you need 'em to be more universal application mics, SM57 would be my choice as well.
    NOT a great all purpose recording mic, but great all purpose mic for most applications (IME not for horns).

Regards
    Sam

11. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1. The Rode NT3 (medium size diaphragm,) condenser mic is an excellent choice - the NT3 works/sounds fantastic on bass cabinets, and it works/sounds ok on drums and acoustic guitar/or amps too.

12. Chromer

Chromer

Been hearing good things about the CAD M179. Neutral sound, continuously variable pattern, very nicely priced.

Just keep them back from loud sources, they don't have the SPL handling of more expensive options.

I'm thinking hard about a pair for acoustic/room work.