1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

cheap (but functional) plastic "straplocks"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lexington125, Oct 18, 2013.

1. lexington125

lexington125

GF is a r'n'r drummer, but also fools around on bass and recently acquired a new Danelectro '56 bass. I was giving her a lesson the other day when her strap slipped off and she just caught the bass before it hit the floor.

I have always used those cheap plastic "straplocks" that consist of a 2 piece circular plastic disk that twists and locks onto your strap button. I purchased a large handful 10 ro 12 years ago and still have a few left (they were 25 cents ea. back then) (see bad photo)

GF went into Guitar Center this week and said they did not have any at the accessory counter (they used to have a glass fishbowl filled with them) and the kid behind the register had no idea what she was talking about. Instead, she purchased what amounted to a rubber washer that you just stretch over your strap button. Nowhere near as well designed or as functional.

Does anyone know if the two piece plastic disk thingie is still being made? And where can I buy another handful? I've got a bunch of quarters........

Attached Files:

2. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

3. lexington125

lexington125

Thank you.

and now for reality check.....

in ten years (+/-) the price has gone from 25 cents to $3.00 ! List price $4.62, but these must have fallen off the back of a truck because they're giving us $1.62 off the list price.

This may be one of the higher markups I've ever seen. What do you think the wholesale cost of this thing is? A nickel? a dime? Oh well, dig deep and buy enough to last another ten years.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

My local shop carries these & I've started using them instead of my Schallers. They hold better (No screws wiggling loose) and are dirt cheap!
    Also, I only pay $0.75/ea

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I use the triangle shaped ones of these from Dunlop on all of my instruments. Some people write bad reviews because they fall apart but this is not a factor once they are on and locked. Cheap, functional and no need to modify the instrument.

7. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I use grolsch beer bottle washers.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

get a washer that fits on the strap button right as it starts to taper out.
    remove strap button, place washer on, place strap on, then screw strap button back on.
    no more strap slippage, ever!!

9. Major Softie

Major Softie

Hmmmm, you can actually get those all by themselves at home brewing supply places.

'Course, where's the fun in that...

10. dmac1961

dmac1961 Supporting Member

The little plastic thingies they use on loaf bread bags work well in a pinch!

11. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

This^

12. awilkie84

awilkie84

...and carry a screw driver for if you ever have the need/want to change straps...

13. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

I use 3/8" poly washers from Home Depot. Its just strong rubber. Cheap and works well. 3 basses done for $1.50. I have an old leather strap that's pretty worn around the hole and these work really good. Plus I know where to get more rather than having to order anything.

14. mongo2

mongo2

Same here and have done so for I don't know how long. I also use large flat rubber washers I get at the hardware store, they work just as well.

Exactly, if you do that you miss out on the free beer that comes with the purchase of each Grolsch straplock. ;)

15. lexington125

lexington125

"get a washer that fits on the strap button right as it starts to taper out.
    remove strap button,"

when you are dealing w/ a Danelectro, you don't want to remove any screws as you do not have a big solid block of wood to screw into. I strongly advised GF to NOT remove either of her strap buttons. There just isn't a lot for the screws to 'bite' into. Even if they do use a a small piece of wood blocking just for that purpose, its just not the same as a solid body guitar.