Cheap Ebay soapbar pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrbell321, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mrbell321

mrbell321

I did a search and didn't find anything useful.
    There seem to be many vendors that have soapbar pickups bearing the description "Noiseless Good Balance". Does anyone have any experience or knowledge?

Now, before you answer, if you're going to say "don't bother, buy something good instead", but you don't actually have any experience, then please don't respond :)
    However, if you have actually tried one of these, I'd be happy to hear from you.

A little bit about why I'm interested: I have a cheap bass that I don't want to spend much money on, but I don't mind hacking at it. It doesn't have to sound great, but the current pickups just aren't doing it for me.

2. mrmills

mrmills

Good and bad tone is subjective so I would say if they are cheap enough, buy them and give them a go.

3. Mktrat

Mktrat Wait. What?

I realize this is a different pickup but still worth mentioning.

I bought some really cheap NIB jazz pickups straight from China and they sound fantastic in my franken-jazz fretless.

So that being said, sometimes it pays to take a chance.

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Sorry, I should have probably asked my question more precisely. I know good/bad tone is completely subjective. Somewhat less subjective is a description of the tone. Better yet would be a recording.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. subdude67

subdude67

at that price it won't hurt, so just take the plunge and see.

I bought a cheapo split coil from china, it sounded much better than I expected for the price.