Cheap 'fridge

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RoadRanger, Aug 20, 2012.

1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Holy crap. If I still wanted a "fridge" I'd be all over that. Nice find.
  3. RoadRanger

Just a warning - there are reports of folks blowing them with the Acoustic 600w head that's supposed to be it's mate. Like most bass cabs you're best off powering it at 1/2 it's rating. As it's rated at 800W a 400w or less head should be safe and still hurt you ;) .
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I would avoid the new Acoustic "fridges".

Best bet IMO for cheap is Peavey. Their older 8x10's are solid. Traynor/Yorkville are also pretty good.

Still, an Ampeg 8x10 always rocks and can be found for $600-ish used. Best bet IMO/IME.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. anderbass

anderbass

Yep they're really cheap, and they dont cost very much either...
  7. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Good info based on what I'm hearing here, I'd stay away too.
  8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

there seems to be really low prices on big cabs recently, saw some ampeg 810 classics pretty cheap locally and an old fender 4x12 as well as a sunn 6x10, do you guys thing that everybody is switching to lighter set ups or that people finally realized that you don't need the same type of equipment you would used for a hockey arena in a small bar or playing on somebody's deck
  9. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Spector Strings
    Please listen to the above. I have had a Peavey 8X10 TVX for many years. It has been used and abused and never needed repair. I also own and use an Ampeg 8X10 CL. And, as stated, they can be found on the cheap.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Drive to Danbury GC and purchase the Ampeg 810 they have used for $400. If I had the means to transport and store it, it would be mine pending there is nothing wrong with it.
  11. RoadRanger

One of the bands I do sound for has a bassist that has one and it sounds fine. They aren't however a loud band so YMMV. That particular guy is an old session player from NYC who's awesome on fretted or fretless - he's actual played Jaco's BOD and made himself a copy :D .
  12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Somebody that good can make anything sound good.:smug:

I played one of these at a GC rehearsal room thing where we practiced once with supplied amps. It was the b600 and 810. IMO, that cab was a one-note-wonder. Boom, boom, boom is all you get.

I tried using the amps notch filter to get rid of it and when I found it down there in the high bass/low mids somewhere, it completely gutted the sound. Went from 810 volume to about crappy 210 volume. So, I guess you either deal with that boom, or you get a very large, very quiet speaker.

The 600 amp I thought could actually sound pretty decent. After dialing that horrible resonance out of the 810, my little 212 would've buried what was left.
  13. RoadRanger

Absolutely, first time he had a Behringer head on it :eek: .
    Are you sure it wasn't the room? I've head his multiple times and it's always sounded great. Sealed cabs don't generally have resonances - one of their advantages...
  14. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Do not want - I'd rather spend another $150 or so, and buy a used pro grade 810 like an Ampeg or SWR...

- georgestrings
  15. will33

will33

Disclosures:
  16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    It was a pretty good size room but the whole thing was all about product placement/selling stuff.

Gear was set up on a 1 foot riser " stage " with everybody staring at the opposite wall as if there was an audience out there. LED par cans on the ceiling, K10 vocal speakers, PA rack with at least a dozen effects units in it. Bunch of other crap you don't need to practice...like 810's.

There was some of that grey studio foam stuff here and there, but it looked to be arranged in sort of decorative shapes and probably didn't have much to do with actual sound dampening.

I thought it might've been the little stage riser thing resonating but I heard it in the ear instead of feeling it in the feet (wasn't wearing shoes) and I'd think playing bass through the other speakers should've excited it too, at least to some degree. Maybe the 810 just had a lot of output in a bad spot.

The whole thing sort of felt like being in a commercial and having to "act" like things were better than they were. My poor frontman left with a headache. If they were trying to display their gear and entice people into buying it, they didn't do themselves any favors.
  17. RoadRanger

Thought I'd update - I'm using mine at a rehearsal space competing with three Marshall half-stacks (they are well behaved though :)). I'm driving it with a 100w Bugera 1960, it required a 1/2 number bass boost over the ported 212MBE cab I was using. Once it loosened up a bit (about 1/2 hour) it sounds great - kinda peaky before that. BTW GC still has some in-store for $270 :
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B810-800W-8X10-Bass-Cabinet-501094-i1612368.gc
    The new "MK II" version is $700 and handles 1200w vs the 800w of the older cab - no other difference that I see?

One thing I love is that the jack plate is on the angled part at the top where the handles are so you can put it right up against the wall and still get a SpeakOn into it :D .
  18. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

19. RoadRanger

Not in stock - and probably never will be as it's discontinued and they carry the newer model now. There are still some in stores and they will ship for free from one store to another.
  20. shoot-r

shoot-r

There are some 810 bargains to be had if your willing to shop and drive.

A few weeks ago here on craigslist there was a three year old Ampeg 810 cabinet for sale.
    Very minor scuffing on the back's tolex, sides were mint, grill was mint.

Seller bought it new, played it out 2 or 3 times, decided it was to much trouble to move, parked it in his garage, his wife wanted it out of their way.....

$300.00
  21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If I was in the states I would pick one up just to leave at a jam space and abuse without thinking twice.

I bet it costs me more to ship it over the 49th than it does to buy the damn thing.