Cheap Gigging Rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DerrickShaney, Jan 21, 2013.

1. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

I am looking for a good LOUD amp setup for around $600.00 I am planning on selling my current setup of

Ampeg Micro VR 200w Head
    and 2 matching 2x10 av cabs

The rig is just not loud enough to keep up with the drummer in either a practice setting or while gigging. I have to max it out to be heard and then it just gets distorted and sounds like garbage... which is unfortunate because I like the sound of the amp at lower volumes.

My rig costs $900.00 brand new. I am hoping to snatch up 600.00 selling it. I will be putting 100% of that towards a new set up and I am poor so I can invest no more.

I am not too concerned with tone as long as it sounds like a bass is not distorted and can keep up with a 4 piece rock band in small/medium sized gigs.

Help me out! :help:

Thanks!
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Gonna be tough to do on that budget. Best bet is used. Possibly a used Ampeg 810 and a SansAmp and a suitable power amp.
  3. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Lot's of options if you have the patience in the used sector. I've gotten a few older GK 800RB's for $200 or under and pairing them with any decent cab moves some air. Plenty of other options too.

If you are talking new and now, I can't help.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Shop used. You need more cab than those 210 AV's. They are a medium duty cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

Personally, I'm using the TCE BG250. The damn thing is LOUD. I liked it enough to buy a second one and ABY them. The BG500 is also nice. It's double the weight of the 250 but double the watts. I guess I circumvented the weight and watt differences by buying two of the 250's. Running the Spectracomp and Tubetone really make a difference in the available volume of these amps. Oh, and on the 500, I'd recommend the 15 version over the 10. More balls IMO.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There were Kustom 8x10 going for a song last month on Amazon. No reports though, maybe they all got sent back.:bag:

Bugera bvvw3k on sale too if you dare.:bag::bag:

Used high sensitivity cabs.
    Used Carvin amp.
    Like the fella said, patience.

You might want to edit the OP for the default for sale advert or buy membership.
  8. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Media:
    Definitely shop used. A wealth of good Peavey, GK, Hartke, Carvin and many other brand heads and cabs can be had well within your budget.
  9. DerrickShaney

DerrickShaney

Awesome. Thanks for the advice! Gives me a good starting point at least.
  10. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would shop used as all have said. If you need loud, go with GK if you can. I got a used, almost brand new, 1001 RB II for $450 and I'm sure you may be able to find a decent cab for a couple hundred more if you could find them and maybe squeeze out a few more bucks somewhere..... tax return maybe? I feel your pain, it sucks not having the money to grab some decent gear. But keep looking, you'll find something. I really hartke, a es some great great stuff that's rather inexspensive. I just returned a 410 hartke xh I think it was and I'd gotten it used for $200. IMHO I think as long as you get a decent head pushing 400 watts and a cab that's at least 4 ohms, preferably 8, around 400 watts capacity, you won't have any problems being heard in the mix.
  11. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

It won't sound like your Ampeg but SWR SM400S are around used here on TB for just over $200. 500W RMS bridged and very high build construction. One of the best deals in the bass world now because SWR has fallen out of style with cool bassists. :)

If you really dig the Ampeg sound a used PF500 can be had in the same price range and oh the power. There has been some units with a cutting out problem though making buying used a little more risky. For cabs, used SWR Goliath 410's are high quality pro level and relatively cheap. Keep away from the workingmans cabs.
  12. Signs

Signs

This is right on the mark. There is a guy two hours north of me, who has been trying to sell an SWR 4004 with the rat fur covered
    rack mount and an SWR Goliath III 4x10 8 ohm cab for $600. He finally reposted this, but has been unsuccessful in selling this for two months. It's hard to imagine a better used rig at a more fair price.

I ended up buying an LH500 Hartke amp new for $300, and a used Epifani PS210 for $335 shipped, total of $635. They don't make the PS210 any more, but you could get a used LH500 for $200, and find a new blem PS115 for $379 shipped, total of $579, and have $20 left to buy one cable. Depends what you want, don't be in too big a hurry, get what you want at a fair deal.
    :bassist:

PS: The Hartke LH500 and PS210 or PS115 setup will give you a very clean, warm sound, with no distortion if that's what you want. These speaker cabs will handle 400 watts. The 115 will give you some deep, old school sound. You could always buy a Tech 21 VT Bass pedal later to dial in a little more character.
  13. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Peavey Mark iv

three or four 210av cabs

sansamp VT pedal
  14. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Used GK 800RB/700 RB-II/400RB
    Used Bag End S15d'S

Maybe a little more than $600, but it's a killer rig and can be found for not a lot of money since they aren't the current fad.
  15. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

Hartke 410XL and a used LH500 would be fine for many situations
  16. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Used GK. 700RB or MB500 and a neo cab.
  17. mcm

mcm

Plus 1 on the bag stack. It slays
  18. deshi00

deshi00

I agree with shopping used. And get what sounds good to you, dont believe it has to be brand xxxx to be good, I have been gigging and Acoustic b200h and 4x10 for over 2 years now with no problems and gotten many compliments on my tone(may have something to do with sans amp). and I am sure most people here will say my rig is garbage. but it works for me and keeps up with 2 mesa half stacks (100 watt tube heads) and drums and never had turn up even half way.

my .02:bassist: