Cheaper Set-up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Resonance

Resonance

I've been toying with this idea for a while now but it's only after hearing about an acquiantances gig experience that I've seriously thought about it.

I perform in several function bands and dep for several more, because of this sometimes the gigs I play can be hotels, function events, christmas parties, birthday parties, general pub gigs or whatever an agent has booked us for.

This leaves me playing to a wide range of clientele and sometimes gear can be touched, damaged or played by drunken audience members (who think it's fun to invade the stage and pretend to play/sing), so I'm thinking of buying a cheaper set-up and bass to avoid any serious damage to my expensive gear.

Obviously kicking, screaming and punching through audience members would be the best option to stop them touching gear but this can't be done 24/7. Personally I haven't had many problems in this area yet but I did have one guy try and play my bass mid-song.

So what's your opinion?
  2. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Cheaper amp, etc.. Is OK. But, keep your good bass guitar with you, because it is #1, in your arsenal. Just get a concealed weapon a permit, to make sure nobody damages it.
  3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't gig but if I did I wouldn't be lugging a 62' Jazz to gigs I always read about all the expensive gear the celebs have but don't tour with it's a fine line between having your sound and not worrying about having your gear stolen.
  4. Resonance

Resonance

That's the best plan. I'm going to look into this concealed weapon permit. Might be a life saver. I'm on the fence about getting a cheaper bass but for that '#1' reason. I can't bring myself to use anything but my Sandberg.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Resonance

Resonance

Thats a good point. I use a Sandberg TM 5 string (not cheap but definitely not the most expensive bass) and when i first started using it for gig about 4 years ago, I did used to worry about damaging and losing it. You do overcome this with time if you always keep on eye on your gear.

No problems to report so far (in 4 years, which is quite good).
  7. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    What kind of gear do you have now? Maybe consider getting it insured? I don't play with very expensive gear and I do just fine. But everything I have is stuff I like, I wouldn't down-grade to complete trash, it's finding a happy medium of stuff you like and you're not worried if something would happen to it.

EDIT:If you've already been gigging your main bass 4 years, I wouldn't worry about that. You could bring a cheaper amp/effects that suit your needs. I mostly use amp modeling from a Zoom B3($200 new) because it beats lugging around an SVT and I don't have to worry about tubes etc.
  8. Resonance

Resonance

Agreed. I've just been thinking about getting a medium like you said. At the moment I use a Sandberg TM 5 string, Peavey VB2 and TC electronics RS210.

I was thinking of switching to a modified squier 5 string jazz bass and then just getting a smaller head (I have been hoping to get a TC electronics RH450/750 for a while - but that's not any cheaper, thats more of a substitution for the weight of the VB2).
  9. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have never had anyone try to touch my gear.
  11. Resonance

Resonance

I'm not sure on the weight difference but yeah I knew my head outweighed my cab. The weight difference is funny at times and then painful at others. I do love the tone I get from all those tubes but I think its time I tried something different anyway (hence the RH450/750).

That was my initial plan as I've played a 5 string squier and for the money they are incredible. Cheers for the added Url link.
  12. Resonance

Resonance

I've only had the one incident in 6 years of gigging so it's not that common. Hopefully no one ever will.
  13. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Don't be packing. A handgun can be used to protect your life - not your gear. If you pull it out, you're going to jail. If you actually use it, you're going to prison. Not worth it.

Get yourself a beater. MIM Fender, Squier VM, older Peavey - something like that. Maybe upgrade it a bit. Or get a used Carvin. No upgrades needed. All good, solid instruments, that won't leave you devastated, if they get banged up.

You can also consider getting a carpet, and put it down, where you stand. This can create the illusion of personal space, without any actual physical barrier.

Or, you could just get one of those pointy basses, and poke people that come too close...
  14. Resonance

Resonance

All very good ideas. The pointy bass idea made me laugh. Don't worry I'm not going to be packing, with my luck I'd shot myself by accident. Cheers for the recommendations, I'll have a look and see if any take my fancy.