1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cheapest simple way to record a few tracks digitally WITHOUT a computer.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by russpurdy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

So I'm interested in doing some field recording type work and multi tracking in some odd locations. I am curious about portable and handheld recorders. Will they work on for doing some basic tracks and then importing them into a computer as sound files? Which do you reccomend? I've seen a few, tascam being a common one.

2. jon36992002

jon36992002

I've used a few different ZOOM field recorders from a few different generations. All of them are very effective, especially if you take the time to learn to use them. Obviously, there is only so much post processing you can do, but I 100% recommend them for live recording, personal reference, field recording, etc...

Check this one out:

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Po...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1392664523&sr=1-2&keywords=Zoom

3. Wagz

Wagz

The Zoom H4 has a great reputation.

4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Another vote for the Zoom H4 or H6.

We're getting very nice results for live recording with the H6 stereo mic set to capture the drum kit and the mid-field of the backline (amps and some vocal monitor), then running direct lines in to other tracks for vocals, kick drum, and a mic set to capture the backline amps better (bass and keyboard amps). The H6 has another line in, we may close-mic the guitar amp to get better level control on it. Of course all of the lines have plenty of bleed, but the different lines are giving us much more control over the final mix, and we're not noticing any phase issues, probably b/c the mics are all pretty close together on the tiny stages we play on.

For mix down we're dumping all the tracks into Audacity, which is free, and mixing from there. For simple mixing and minimal post-processing Audacity works fine. If we ever get a performance we really want to treat right we'll use a better DAW at that point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

8. edpal

edpal Banned

Another vote for Zooms, from 2 channels with built-in mics to the H6. Even the little 2 channel with the built-ins has a line in - grabbing at 24bit, 96.6khz...usb out. And yes, dump into Audacity - you can add tracks in Audacity after the fact.;)

9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

The Zoom R16 and R24 will also run on batteries so if you need more than 6 tracks this is an option.