cheapest soapbars worth using?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danharris, Feb 6, 2014.

1. danharris

danharris

like the title says, whats the nicest sounding pup for $50 or less.

$100 each for barts is too much, $10 chinese ebay pups sound terrible. find me something inbetween

(preferably in an emg45 size)

2. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

You can get a used set of Emg 45 hz's pretty cheap. They're probably as good as it gets if your only willing to fork out $50 bucks. I have a set in one of my basses and use them with a hartke bass atack preamp pedal and I think they sound good. The Emg 45 size isn't as common as the 35 or 40 on the used market which is probably going to limit your options...

3. danharris

danharris

ya i guess those come stock in some pretty nice basses, and folks swap em out right away so there should be some out there.

ill see what i can find

edit.... your right.. lots of 35's and 40's out there for about $50... but 45's are slim. ill have to keep a close eye, or maybe a fellow friendly tb'er could mail me a set?

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rubendlr

rubendlr Supporting Member

You didn't mention what number of strings this bass has. Is it a 6 string? Because that's what a EMG 45 is made for. Carvin has some soapbars that are a little shorter than a 45, but there are a custom route size for 70 bucks. Kent Armstrongs are about 13-14 bucks more at WD music but I believe they fit a EMG 40 route.

7. danharris

danharris

its for a six string. 1.5 x 4.5 inch routes. emg45 size. kent armstrongs look like a good deal. MM tone at a nice price. none for 6ers though.

i might have to bite the bullet here and spend a few more bucks just to get something in my size. like stringslamdan said, 45's are way less common than the 35's and 40 sizing.

thanks for the input guys

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

I didn't see where you specified active or passive pickups.
    EMG 45's (used), and active, can be found quite regularly- tho not as often as 40 series, and EMG 45HZ (passive) are not nearly as common-(do they make HZ in 45 series?).
    40 and 45 series can be used for 5 or 6 string, but 40P and 45P only for their designated string #, as they are split 'P' inside, not rails.

9. Brother Goose

Brother Goose Fun with a k all day! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    (visitor from Planet Funktron)
    I'll jump in here: also looking for this size/shape for a Gecko 6

interested in aguilar dcb- but would be happy to get something else going just to play the bass and budget for some bad ass pups later

passive