Cheapie Ebay Acoustic/Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Well, I finally pulled the trigger tonight on one of those cheapie Sky Acoustic/Electric bass guitars on Ebay. I figured for 70 bucks and free shipping, how far wrong could I go?
    I've had a few acoustic/electrics and never really cottoned to them. I liked them for noodling around on the couch without an amp, but could never justify the cost of the bass for just that and ultimately ended up selling them. Also I play pretty much only short scale and could never find a short scale acoustic. Long scale acoustic basses have always felt like dancing with a fat aunt at a wedding.
    The Sky is a short scale and hopefully will be fine for couch play and the occasional plugged in acoustic jam. I'm assuming there is someone on TB who has one of these and can give me an idea of what to expect.
  2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Hmm... I can see there's not a lot of love for these on TB :D
    Oh well, hopefully it will be a good campfire special :bassist:
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Pics when it gets there, mmmkay?
  4. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

If yours is like the one I sold, not only will you have a nearly perfect couch bass, but a saw in case of emergencies. Seriously, the fret ends could amputate a finger if you're not careful. Oddly enough, it sounds pretty good through a PA, but the action is too high and the neck too, uh, I don't know how to describe it to play out on it. Keep it at home and file down the fret ends and you'll be reasonably happy with it.

OK, as happy as you can be for $70.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I had one. The fret ends were indeed quite sharp. The intonation was all over the place. The bridge on mine eventually came loose from the body. I thought the same thing, but for 70 bucks you really can go wrong. Yours might be more playable and I hope it is. Return shipping won't be cheap.
  7. MD

MD

I hope it works out, but looking at the price and the feedback here, I can't help feeling you'll end up with special firewood:crying:
  8. bluebird28

bluebird28

Could you please provide a link to this.
  9. Gorn Captain

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Well I guess we'll see :D
    I can do a basic setup, so sharp fret ends etc. are not a major issue. I really just need something to noodle around with outside on the deck, on the couch etc. that has the same scale length as my other basses. As long as it's semi playable on the first 12 frets I'll be thrilled.
    I've sold quite a few bass items recently so this was just a whim purchase for 70 bucks that I won't miss whatever the outcome. And it will satisfy a curiousity I've had about these basses in watching them sell quite regularly on Ebay and amazon for the past couple of years. Call it a cheap experiment ;)
  11. MakoMan

MakoMan

That's exactly what I'm looking for... in fact some of your previous comments on this bass helped me decide to finally buy one. High action, sharp and uneven frets I can fix.
  12. MakoMan

MakoMan

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Ah well, I've spent much more money and gotten far less in the past :D
  14. MakoMan

MakoMan

Whatever the outcome, I will post a pic here with in initial review and then a full review thread down the road.
  15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Let us know. I bought a Randy Rhoads V guitar by Sky and that thing was so awful. Neck was bad (frets) and the pickups were wonky. I sold it to someone really cheap who wanted a project guitar (and got what he paid for). I'm hoping they improved quality from what they were producing back then.
  16. MD

MD

Hear that. Too often I've gone cheap, only to find I've wasted the coin spent. Cool if you're handy with a bit of luthier skills.

Looking forward to pics and clips.
  17. MakoMan

MakoMan

It's here!!! But I haven't opened the box yet...
    Got home about 45 minutes ago to find the box waiting on the porch for me. No idea what time it was delivered or how long it has been there, but it was -20C today so I'm going to let it warm up a couple of hours before even opening the box. I'll give my first impressions on the bass tomorrow morning.
  18. Gorn Captain

That's probably for the best. If you wanna change the strings, you'll need a set without ball end silks cuz otherwise they won't fit through the bridge, or you could try removing the silks.
  19. MakoMan

MakoMan

Thanks for the tip! I'll probably play it with the stock strings at first while I set up the bass and get comfortable with it. By then I should be able to figure out what strings I want on it.
  20. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Here's to hoping it will intonate, stay in tune, and be fun.
  21. MakoMan

MakoMan

OK I gave it a couple of hours and opened the box. The bass seemed to be up to temperature so I tuned it up and tried it out.
    First of all the bad:
    - The action is waaay too high, mostly due to the very high saddle. I believe I can fix that fairly easily by sanding down the saddle. The nut may need a bit of sanding too, but I can live with it for now.
    - The input jack was loose. I've already fixed that.

Now the good:
    - It looks fantastic... much better than in the photos. The headstock says BC instead of Sky and it has a very nice rosette around the soundhole. No significant costmetic issues that I can find so far.
    - The electronics work and seem to sound half decent.
    - Intonation is pretty good... not perfect, but I was surprised at how close it was all the way down the fretboard.
    - The frets are well dressed and the edges are not sharp in the least.
    - The strings don't suck. They're not great, but they're at least as good as the ones that came on my Takamine acoustic bass.
    - Unlike the other acoustic basses I've owned, playing it does not feel at all like dancing with a fat aunt at a wedding. The short scale feels great and the smaller body is quite comfortable. Volume is certainly good enough for practicing. For anything else I'll plug it in.

Anyway that's my first impressions. I'm pretty happy so far. I expected to have to do some sanding of the saddle, having read many reviews about the high action, so that's not really a surprise. I'll post a full review of the bass once I've fixed the action and had some time to play it for more than just half an hour.