1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cheapish 4 string for C or B tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuersty, Sep 18, 2013.

1. fuersty

fuersty

Hey all,

I'm interested in picking up a cheaper 4 string to have tuned down to C and occasionally B.

Any recommendations for a cheaper bass that would handle thicker strings? I've got a set of Heavy D'Addario's (55/75/90/110) but maybe I'll want thicker?

I've heard Thunderbirds generally accept thicker string well?

I prefer passive basses, looking under $400?

Recommendation?
  2. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I've had a Squier VM P & VM J tuned BEAD, both sounded good but I'd want the lower strings to be heavier than that, for BEAD I use 60,80,100,125.
  3. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

I run a Sterling by MusicMan S.U.B. bass in C standard for my band.
    It's active but not a super crazy preamp and very easy to simply set flat. It takes the tuning very well with Ernie Ball Cobalt Regular Slinkys. There is some string buzz and rattle, but I consider it part of the tone of the genre and the tension doesn't feel floppy to me.