"Check In" here before and after your gigs, set 3 - everyone's drunk now!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Dec 18, 2011.

1. pklima

pklima

Continued from here. The pre-game show and post-game show for our gigs in one thread!

Last night was great. Nobody noticed our guitarist conflicts. The house was packed. The bar actually ran out of beer during the first set and had to wait about 20 minutes for more kegs to be delivered. We did a few songs with three different guest singers. Since two people from one of my other bands showed up we decided to play another set for whoever was still left in the bar. And the coolest part - our new guitarist who's been learning to play DB since October debuted on DB on one song, and we managed to keep it a total surprise from everybody else.

Only downside is I didn't get much sleep, though, and gotta head out to play in church soon... just posting this over breakfast.

2. rtslinger

rtslinger

Glad you had a great show thanks for sharing

3. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Just discovering this long running thread.

I play out a couple of times a month - sometimes more.

A gig coming up that is notable for me is - New Year's Eve.
    First time I have ever had a gig for New Year's Eve.

Looking forward to it. I don't really normally do anything for NYE, so I'm glad to be out with a gig that night this year.

4. normalized

normalized

Show tonight in the East Bay with our Bowie tribute band. We are headlining for the 1st time in our (less than a year) history. Opening will be a band that formed for the occasion doing songs by T-Rex, Sweet, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Suzi Quatro.

I have a new outfit (some sparking stuff) new color for the spray on hair coloring and sporting the stingray for the first time for this band. No the 'ray is not new but I've been using my CIJ P-bass up to this point due to trying to somewhat historically accurate. Should be a good un' And a few new songs including one co-written by a Mr. Lennon which should sound good on the 'ray (yes the infamous one note song)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rtslinger

rtslinger

GOOD LUCK WITH THE SHOW!

7. normalized

normalized

Followup from Friday's show. Went EXTREMELY well, we headlined and had a packed house, booker was happy audience was happy, many folks coming up to us afterwards and raving (which believe me does not happen at all our shows) I think performance wise we turned a corner, we had a fair amount of flubs but kept going. But the high points were pretty awesome.

Bass sound on stage was weird, the sound person put the bass in the monitor during our set which she did not do during the sound check, so I got a very detailed weird clean sound on stage which freaked me out a little as it was just clean bass signal and a little too loud. Only was it after the set did I realize it was the monitor and not the rig.

yes, we are a tribute band, but it is hard to argue with the fact that folks are into it, so you can say the audience is not into you but somebody's else songs, but I guess we had to pull it off and we did. It really does make me reevaluate the whole cover band thing in a big way, the people you play for a re happy (in our case that night VERY happy) so there is some payoff there.

8. rtslinger

rtslinger

Glad it turned out good for you. Bowie is one of my favorite rockers

9. pklima

pklima

Another good gig tonight, packed house and all that. The bar did not run out of beer this time, though. Need to book some bigger places with this band.

On the negative side, a few equipment casualties. The lens cover on my video camera didn't want to open so I stuck a piece of a drinking straw there to hold it open, apparently that worked. On the way back home broke the shaft on my bass wheel on a hole in the sidewalk. It must have been cracked already. I'll have to see if I can either thread the end of what's left and screw it in there, or replace it with maybe a bicycle axle.

10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Tonight we'll be playing a 50th birthday party at a local bar that we gig at often. The birthday boy is paying us instead of the bar, and more than the bar would. He asked us to play a bunch of George Harrison songs, so we've spent the last few weeks hashing them out. It should be a fun gig! It's going to be on the long side though...8:30-2am. 3 sets, each roughly 1 1/2 hrs. I hope it stops snowing before I have to head out to pack up my gear.

I'll be using my usual GB Streamliner 900 into Bag End S15D's. I'll be playing my G&L ASAT most of the night, but I haven't decided the other bass yet. Probably my Sadowsky 5er, but I thought of going all 4 string for the first time in a LONG time. I'll also be dragging my pedal board with me, I need my synth and octave on a few songs.

UPDATE: The gig was awesome. We only played until about 12:30 which was nice since we started so early. The bar was packed, which surprised me since it snowed the night before and the day of. We sounded great, got a bunch of compliments, and another gig.

I ended up playing my ASAT all night. My whole rig sounded KILLER! I had a smile on my face all night.

11. rtslinger

rtslinger

Congrats BassGod. sounds like an awesome time!

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

Tonight my country band will be playing at the Winchester VA Moose lodge. It's my first gig with them since NYE. Looking forward to the buffet, they have good food. Also the crowd is into us, so that's a big plus.

Only bummer is they allow smoking, because it's a private club. With the no-smoking rule @ the nightclubs, I'm spoiled!

13. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

Tonight my post-punkish band is playing out for the first time since last May...Our main guitarist has been dealing with serious health issues over the past few years so we haven't been very steadily active.

Anyway, we go on second, and the venue is a block and a half from my apartment, which makes my life easier tonight... I'll be playing guitar for the first three songs and then bass for the remainder (our main guitarist will play my bass for the first two songs, and then our lead vocalist will play it on the third song)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rtslinger

rtslinger

So Luna, how was the show?

15. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

I totally forgot about my post here!

The show went OK I guess... The venue is notorious for having little to no ventilation, and the heat level rises fast in the room where the music takes place... It's a fairly small room with a low ceiling... I was feeling OK early in the evening, was kind of worn out and dehydrated by the time I finished loading my gear in, so I went home (a block away) and drank a load of V-8 and ate some rice to help absorb stomach acid. By the time the first band went on (we were second in the line up) I was feeling pretty good. Then it was time for us to set up. The stage is fairly small, and by the time we had finished cramming our gear and ourselves on it, I was starting to overheat and acid reflux started to kick in. I hoped that once playing, I would cool off a bit as I would just be standing mostly still, stuck in my little corner of the stage.

The first three songs were songs that I play guitar on (for the first two, our main guitarist plays my bass, and for the third our lead vocalist plays my bass). I was really starting to feel miserable during the third song, I was not cooling off at all, so I took off my jacket, which only helped a little bit. I managed to play bass OK for the next few songs and then things started getting really difficult. My glasses kept sliding off my head making it difficult to see, and the pick was really slippery. The body of my bass was also slippery with perspiration, so anchoring my arm like I normally do was impossible. My acid reflux was in high gear, so my throat was burning from stomach acid.... I had no trouble hearing myself, as I was standing right in front of my rig, and I could hear everyone else well enough to navigate, but my own playing ranged from just slightly sloppy to full-on caveman bashing away in the relative vicinity of the correct strings.

By the time the set was over, I was feeling miserable but victorious that I made it through the set without disaster. The audience response was very positive and even the soundguy was complimentary to me as we were breaking down our gear. The more objective listeners among our friends in the crowd said that we did indeed sound good that night (kudos to the soundguy!).

Here's a clip a friend took on his phone of a live debut of a song that our main guitarist sings lead on and our lead vocalist plays guitar on. I think the lyrics are about Santa being an evil bastard. I'm standing in the back of the scene with my Yamaha bass...
    Razorblade Monalisa - Christmas Day - YouTube

16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

First gig tonight! Not paid, but still, my first step beyond open mics.

Joined this band two weeks ago. Last Monday the BL asked spontaneously if we wanted to hit an open mic. I said I couldn't make it and would need more notice because of needing to care for kids etc.

So rehearsal last night, he says his friend asked if we could come open for them tonight... Playing at Pinucci's in Manchester NH.

I'm stoked!

EDIT: BL called, and he was in error. it's tomorrow, and the place is spelled Penuche's....

17. hrodbert696

And it was a success! Just played 6 songs, about half an hour, opening for the other band. The next day, got a text from the BL that the place booked us for March 31. Which will officially be my first PAID gig.

Woo hoo!

Terracite and mc900ftj like this.
  18. pklima

pklima

Played yesterday with a band I'm considering quitting, but we drew a slightly bigger crowd than before, I didn't want to kill the pianist too many times, and it generally went well.

Today the drummer texts me that he caught a stomach flu and can barely walk. This isn't good because he was going to bring part of the PA, too. We start calling around where else we could get at least a mic stand and some long XLR cables, but he's now well enough to show up and bring the gear, just not sure if he'll play, so I called the guy I played with yesterday and talked him into coming as a spare, in case he's needed.

Also, realized today that the pipe that feeds my washing machine is frozen, and I'm chiseling a hole in my wall to either thaw it out (if it's still in one piece) or take it out (if it's burst). Would have to cut off water to the whole house if it springs a leak.

And playing children's music tomorrow morning, too. Busy weekend in general.

19. hrodbert696

Is this the same band where the singer chick hitchhikes from three hours away? Life seems so much more interesting in Poland....

Thumbs up for kids' music. I bang away on a mandolin for kids at my wife's library from time to time. Best audiences ever!

20. pklima

pklima

Hahaha, no, that's another band yet.

Tonight went well, full in spite of the cold and a large part of our fanbase being from tropical countries. Our drummer lasted two sets and we used the spare guy on the third. Added more pop to the setlist with "S&M", "Mr. Saxobeat" and "Got 2 Luv U", definitely good ideas all. Had a bellydancer perform on "Ojos asi" again, though our guitarist seems to have been paying too much attention to her and made quite a few mistakes - it's not an easy song. Penciled in a gig at the same place for late April. I will have some material to post in CAS, even if it's just video stills.

21. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

We played a great/terrible gig last night. It was a new place for us, so we got there nice and early. The soundguy was already there setting up his equipment so we introduced ourselves. He was really cool and a very nice guy. We bring in our gear and set up, then do soundcheck. This soundguy was phenomenal! No fussing around and he made us sound AWESOME. We were very happy.

There wasn't much of a crowd, and not a single person we knew showed up. So we basically played for the soundguy and a few random people. He kept telling us how good we were, but in reality we played like garbage. Our first set was great, then it just went downhill from there. At the end of the night the BL asked me what I thought and I just "we sucked..." He laughed and agreed.

The owner and soundguy were very receptive and kept on saying how good we were and they they'll book us again. Telling us about the gigs they would like us to do. The soundguy is basically freelance, so we made a good contact with him as well.

But we sucked