Check Out my first EP, "Funk In Session"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jan 14, 2014.

1. johnm0187

johnm0187

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reading. I actually finished this back in late November and have been giving it out locally but I was just able to put it on soundcloud for free download and streaming. I did all the production in ableton and, obviously, played bass. If you guys could check it out and let me know what you think, I would really appreciate it!

Www.soundcloud.com/professor-John-2/sets/funk-in-session

Thanks,

Professor John
  2. johnm0187

johnm0187

Bump! Can someone please provide feedback? I will return all feedback received on whatever you want!

Professor John
  3. Granny1089

Granny1089 Supporting Member

Hey dude, the tracks sound pretty solid. The horns on Funk Rust Bust are cool. And Prof. J Day has a cool hip hop vibe. It'd be cool if you could track down a local MC to throw a rap on it or something like that for fun.

Dubstruk had a cool lounge-y, acidy vibe, and when that high bass bend part came in it really hit a cool point. And I like that you put a melody in as well.

Just being honest, I know its an instrumental deal, but I felt like there was a bit of overplaying on the bass on a few occasions. Funk is great because it gives the bass player a lot of room to open up, but there were a few points when you had a great groove and it lost some of that just because the bass was a "hair" to busy.

Overall, its a pretty cool collection of tunes man. Keep writing, you got a good vibe.
  4. johnm0187

johnm0187

Thank you so much for listening and for the great feedback! I do tend to play busy because when I'm writing, it's just me and my bass. I will have to work on that. If you have any music you want me to check out, I will gladly return the feedback. Thanks again!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Hi,

I liked the M² vibe you've got going on. I'm not a HUGE fan of your bass sound and think that it might have had a bit less volume, but that's just me and my opinion. If you like it, you like it and that's all that matters.

Furthermore it's great playing and nice arrangements! Keep it up (and buy a Jazz bass :p just kidding)

EDIT: If you want me to go more in-depth please tell me.
  7. johnm0187

johnm0187

I'm actually looking into getting a jazz bass soon! If you would like to go in depth, I would really appreciate it! I'm just trying to get better and all criticism would help!
  8. Salamenster

Salamenster

Ok, IMO there are two types of slap: 'bandslap' and 'soloslap'. Your sound has a lot of edge and a nice pack of mids, this sound is better suited for bandslap, where the scooped sound of a jazz bass with both it's pickups fully on in parallel is 'the' sound for soloslap.

My idea for you is to lay down the 'basslines' with your current sound, while doing the soloslap parts with a jazz bass. Give it way more clarity, punch and isn't as 'invasive' to the overall sound.

Just my 2 cents, though.
  9. johnm0187

johnm0187

Thank you. I'm 25 and I've been playing bass since I was 16. I just do this for fun though but I occasionally play live around Atlanta.

I'm not really sure what you mean by the comments in your postscript. Could you be a little more specific?

Thank you!
  10. Salamenster

Salamenster

11. Asomodai

Asomodai

Yup, the bass sound is a little too clinical (And indeed the whole recording) for my tastes. I lovely clicky tones, but that has a bit too much ultra high end.
  12. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Interesting compositions. Your production could be a lot better.

It seems to me that your bass tone is too "direct". I feel like you need to process it a bit more. Perhaps you should look into some amp modeling like amplitube or something similar. My advice would be to have a look at TSE B.O.D., a very good emulation of the Sansamp bass driver.

Moreover your drums could sound a bit more robust. I could suggest some VSTs for this as well, but you could probably get away with what you are using, just eq a bit.

All the above said, I felt like your tracks would benefit from having a little guitar on them.
  13. johnm0187

johnm0187

Thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely going to have to check out the TSE B.O.D.

What VSTs would you suggest? I have a fair amount of VSTs but I'm always looking for new sounds.

Thank you

Professor John
  14. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

For me, when it comes to drums, BFD is unbeatable. I have most expansion packs for it which allows me to play a lot of styles with very faithful sounds and percussion.

I have even used it in a live situation with great results once.
  15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Not bad. I'd like to hear more melodies and lead lines.
  16. johnm0187

johnm0187

Thanks for the input!
  17. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Cool man, keep it up. I agree with a lot of the comments posted.