Check Your Voice Mail!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I am bad about not checking my voice mail and I paid for it today! I visited my favorite local store today, and a salesguy asked me if I had checked my vioice mail because he had sent me a message to see if I wanted a sweet Cirrus five they had gotten in trade for $700! Too bad I had not checked, because it had already been sold.:rollno:

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    That was an excellent price for a used Cirrus 5. Even if you didn't want to keep it you could have sold it for a profit.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Why do people have voice-mail and/or e-mail and not check it!???!~ I HATE that. And don't just call me back when I left you a message- listen to before you respond. While we're at it, don't ever just leave a "message" that's "call me". TELL me why you called, because if it ain't important enough to leave a message, it wasn't important enough to make the call in the first place!

John
    a/k/a old fart curmudgeon!

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have to disagree with you a little.
    I hate it when people leave a 5+ min voice mail.
    Both the gp in my band and my sister will ramble on until they are cut off. By the time I am done listening to the recording I can't remember what the original call was about.

Make it short, sweet and to the point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Sometimes I call my answering machine from a payphone as often twice a day to check the playback tape.

:bag:

7. rtslinger

rtslinger

My voice-mail is the bands hotline # so I check it often. Most of the time it leads to private gigs so it is worth it to go through them. After a show I have gotten as many as 20 voice-mail message.

8. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

I have software on my iphone that converts the voice message to a text (Google Voice) and sends it to me, often with hilarious results. Let's just say the "voice to text" voice recognition software should have a show on the comedy channel. But, I can usually get the general idea of the message without having to call my messages and waste my time listening to stuff I don't wanna hear...

9. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you would've paid more checking your voicemail. You saved $700+ by not checking it...just saying:D

10. Dr. Cheese

So true! Still, I wish I had gotten the message. Believe it or not, I have never had a five string MIA Cirrus, and I really do want one.

11. Alphaman

I have heard people that sounded great on a Cirrus. I owned a 5 string Cirrus a while back and it was just ok for me. The finger tone was great but the slap tone was not so great to me. I don't know what it was? :confused: Maybe it was just that particular bass but I've played enough basses that have "wowed" me enough that I probably won't go the Cirrus route in the future...but that's IMHO.

12. Dr. Cheese

You are probably just not a fan of that Ken Smith sort of slap tone. The Cirrus is great if you want a boutique style bass for modest money.

13. Alphaman

You may be right. After my first day with it, I was trying to figure out a way to change the pickups and preamp but the pickups weren't a standard build. I figured I'd just make a move to something else rather than try to go with an electronics swap. I've had several very nice Ken Smith basses and they're excellent for that mid heavy, thumping finger tone but the slap is too compressed sounding IMHO. It's a love/ hate thing for me and a Smith...just depends on the day. The Elites are very nice but a Smith always sounds a certain way and you won't change it no matter what knobs you turn. After playing one for a month or two, I usually get sound burn out with a Smith. I guess different folks like different things.

14. superjesus

superjesus

Tape???? :eek:

Payphone???? :eek:

Your answering machine still uses tape? Where on earth can you even find a payphone anymore?

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I will have to try that because I often wonder what I sound like on other peoples answering machines.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I sell voicemail (all telecom stuff) and I rarely check mine. People know to email me, IM me or call my cell.

17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Sorry you missed it Doc. For what it's worth I had a stringer for a while and never could get anything I liked out of it. All mids all the time. And not the good punchy low mids. The AM radio kind of mids.

But, then again, I drive my friends and family crazy by not checking my voicemail enough. I can't wait until you finally find your "home" bass Doc! Seems as though you've been on the hunt for quite a while now. But that's probably fun too.

18. Dr. Cheese

I am very happy with my two basses, a TL-5 and a Rebop 5 Deluxe, I just would like a Cirrus too but I am not losing sleep over not having one.

19. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    LOL I *so* agree with all of this!! HATE getting a message that says "call me", and hate it when people don't listen to the message I left but instead just call me right back and then I have to say everything twice.

20. NOVAX

NOVAX

Chef- appears the sarcasm meter is in the red

21. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

If your local music store has you on speed dial then it's possible you may have some stinky GAS.