1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Chicago area instructors?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Exemonium, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

Hey all. Hopefully someone can lend a hand. I'm looking to take some lessons from someone who teaches regularly. I can't afford lessons as it is and all of the lessons I've taken so far haven't gotten me anything but an empty wallet. I can only afford lessons maybe once or twice a month as I'll already be travelling a bit to get to Chicago. But if anyone has tips of anyone that's a great instructor in the area, I'd LOVE some help. I'm looking for electric bass lessons and mostly to learn jazzy type leads, but also funk and R&B if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I live and teach in Oak Park. Check out my website - http://www.MostlyBass.com
    - if it doesn't look like I may be a good fit for a teacher perhaps I know someone who will be.

Can you give more details? Like specifics on your level, experience, background, schedule, etc.

Thanks!

3. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

I've been playing bass for 3 years now, and have played for 5 professional musicals in Detroit, and 7 more non-professional. I love playing for theatres a great deal and have recently picked up a double bass to learn so I can open up even more shows to play for! I had to move and now play in a wedding band and still play musicals when I can.

I don't live in Chicago but I need quality lessons and it's my nearest big city.

When it comes down to it, creating music is not very easy for me. Putting the right spin on a piece of music handed to me has been easier for me since day 1. However, I did play guitar before I realized I was a bassist, and performed on stage in musicals for 15 years, so it all made sense to me. I'm not a fast sight reader, but that's not of the utmost importance to me right now. I see people like Anthony Wellington, Janek Gwizdala, Adam Nitti, (and many more I can't think of off the top of my head) and would love to be able to improv and even PLAY like that(chord melody, solos, slap). But I've always been self taught, so some type of guidance and structure to get there is what I'm looking for. I'm NOT looking for someone to read a book to me and have me do the exercises, I can do that at home. If I have an instructor like that there also needs to be an explanation of "why" I'm doing that and so forth.

I'm not necessarily looking to work on any double bass things with these lessons though, only advancing further with electric....for now.

I hope that helps.

4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Thanks for the info! I should have noted that I do teach electric bass as well. Double bass is definitely my primary instrument but I've played in all sorts of situations with electric bass and can definitely help with creating bass lines, applying knowledge of song and chord structures, improv, and composition.

I'm also available for Skype lessons at a lower price rate than my standard $80 per hour.

Either way I'm happy to try and help find the right teacher for you.

5. Register to disable this ad