1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Chicago travel advice request

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RS, Jan 14, 2013.

1. RS

RS

I might head to Chicago for one night in mid-Feb. to see show at Schubas Tavern. Can anyone recommend the best, closest place to stay and the best way to get around? It would be nice to take the train from the airport to a hotel and be able to get to the club on foot or via a short cab ride.

Thanks

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Schuba's is a great little venue! I highly recommend it. Hotels, hmm--most hotels in the city are clustered around O'hare, Midway, and the Loop/Magnificent Mile--the first and the third are several miles away, while Midway is further south. I live in the same neighborhood as Schuba's and the two hotels nearby that I can think of are frankly seedy (even though it's a good neighborhood). I will think on this.

ETA: The Red and Brown Lines of the El have a stop on Belmont that is is about a half mile east of Schuba's. So if you could find a hotel anywhere along those train lines on the north side, you could get to the Belmont stop in 20 minutes' max. If it's too nasty outside to walk from the train, Belmont has a bus line that runs every 20 minutes or so.

3. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

Avoid O'hare if at all possible.

4. RS

RS

That is a good thought. Thanks. Would I have an problem getting a cab on a Friday night late in that area to run us back to the hotel?

RS

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    All spot-on info.

I would only add that the Days Inn on Diversey is your best bet. (The band might even be staying there as well.) Cabs are plentiful in that neighborhood.

7. RS

RS

I'll check that hotel out. Thanks.

RS

8. RS

RS

What's a better music venue- Schubas or Lincoln Hall?

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I haven't been to Lincoln Hall yet. It's owned/run by the Schuba's guys, it's a lot newer and bigger (more than double the capacity). The reviews I've heard have been great.

10. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Lincoln Hall has the best sound of any venue in the city IMO. Great place to see a band!