Chick Corea Elektric Band Shreds

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 4001, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 4001

2. ejmy

ejmy

3. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Even though I respect the talent and catalog of these guys, I can't help but to find this to be just aimless jamming. Nothing about it excites me, moves me or makes me "feel" anything. I think if this video was made by a bunch of high school kids, we'd say it was just basement wankering, but because it's Chick Corea, Patitucci, etc., some think it's some sort of genius. Maybe it is and I just don't get it. But in the end, it just doesn't do it for me regardless of the individual talent level of the players. Make me feel something.

But, I guess this in part is the joke of the tune, right? If it is indeed a joke.

Regardless, these guess sure know how to dress for the stage....yikes.
  4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I think you missed the point of this. This is not real. It's a real video but with the actual musical content replaced by these silly noises.

If this was their actual playing, what you say would be correct. But this is not their actual playing. They don't wank when the play - the are actually saying something - not just trying to impress you with how fast they can play a scale. If you were to slow down their solos you'd hear and understand the melodicism and ideas a little more clearly.

Here's the video with the original audio content.

7. SactoBass

I think we all knew Boris "missed" it, but I felt kinda bad for him, so I wasn't going to say anything.

That's why I posted my EDIT note in post #4...to try to help him out a bit.
  8. 4001

9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Whether Corea is your cup o' tea or not, they are excellent, highly skilled musicians.
    In the '80's I got dragged to a Chick Corea concert at the Universal amphitheater.
    I half expected to be bored to death with sleepy time jazz.
    They came out and *Bam*, from the first note to the last was high energy, amazing
    progressive jazz / funk for 2+ hours. Stanley Clark was killer, Al Dimeloa guitar work very tasteful.

Fast forward to last year at the Hollywood Bowl. Went to see Zappa Plays Zappa. My teacher at the time and the ZPZ bassist, Pete Griffin(TB Member), was opening for Corea.
    Both bands were sensational

Talent is talent, doesn't matter the genre.
    Most of the time, any classical, working violinist can shred 1,000 times better on 4 strings than any 6 string guitarist you'll ever work with
  10. 4001

11. 4001

It's all in good fun. I like Chick Corea. Gambale, Patatiucci, Weckl etc. they are all great musicians.

Sometimes we need a good laugh.
  12. SactoBass

Oh my friggin deity!!!!

The Kenny G/Bolton thing was good, but that Creed one caused me to bust a gut!!!!!!!!!!

4001: you are killing me with these!
  13. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Hmmm....watched it quickly and I guess I did miss it. Funny thing is that, way back when, I listened to a ton of Corea's electric and acoustic bands and tried HARD to get into it and just couldn't. So perhaps my post was my catharsis for that era.

Carry on.
  14. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Hilarious! Thanks, I needed a good laugh! My wife is getting pizzed because I am answering her with grunts and groans like this video. My daughter loved it too!
  15. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

I'm sorry the joke was lost on some of the audience here. There's also a really good one of Keith jarrett. he plays all of your favorite beginner piano classics with appropriate groans of course.
  16. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Part of the reason the joke gets lost is that the overdub is so well done and, in this particular circumstance, it's plausible that these guys would have played this!
  17. dtripoli

dtripoli

We didn't get the joke because we broke the first rule of posting a reply; Watch The Video before ranting

...didn't watch it...my bad.
  18. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Ill be mailing that around. great.
  19. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

I laughed until I cried. Thank you so much for posting this.
  20. SactoBass

His stuff never clicked for me either.
  21. 4001

@ 3:11 I was in tears!