1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Chickenbacker 4004LK - (Chinese Rickenbacker Lemmy Kilmister Signature Replica)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spidzior, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Spidzior

Spidzior

Has anyone here seen it?

[​IMG]

Doesn't look that bad. Obviously nowhere near the original, but it's 539$, while only 60 units of the real one were produced and now the prices are really high.

[​IMG]

What do you think about it?

There was some talk about Chickenbackers on TB, but not this particular model. The regular ones vary in quality. I'm no Rickenbacker expert, but even to my untrained eyes on the ones I've seen dead giveaways are the bridges and crappy inlays.

[​IMG]

2. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Well, if you like cheap and "crappy," you'll get what you pay for.

3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Pretty close copy..regardless its pedigree,I'd like to give it whirl.

4. Spidzior

Spidzior

If you're addressing me, I have no intention of acquiring one. Simply thought someone here might be interesting, considering some already have purchased several Chickenbackers.

If I was buying one, I'd probably order a custom replica from one on Polish luthiers. I guess it'd still be half the price of original 4003 and be done all to my liking. And I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer the original, I just can't really afford (or even need) one right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steveinohio

steveinohio Supporting Member

I think they are cool and priced about right. Probably about the same craftsmanship as a Ric! Interesting to see.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

If they make a 5 string model then I am interested.

8. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Now I'm laughing.

9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

That is your job!

Interesting pickup choice on that one. Any guesses? Are they going to be PAF-style guitar pickups without the pole-pieces showing? Some sort of budget T-bird pickup?

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Y'think...???

11. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

I work as a buyer in manufacturing and I would just say be very wary of anything from DH Gate.

Never bought any musical instruments from them but have had some nightmares with other parts from suppliers found on this site.

Problem is, when they screw you over there is really nothing that can be done, not like you can file a small claims in Chinese court.

Then you are out your 600.

Also do not sell instruments (or anything else) to anyone overseas anymore-sold some vintage toys to a guy in Italy and customs destroyed them because they dont allow foreign toys into the country-I was out my 500.00.

But back to this topic, I only order inexpensive instuments from US Dealers-it would be nice to find someone here in the states who could get items like this in for those who are interested.

12. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

For example-Rondo music is cool, but if I saw the same instruments on DH Gate I would stay away.

I would like to hear from any TBers who have had a good experience on DH Gate so we can get a list of reliable suppliers for everyone on this site!

13. Spidzior

Spidzior

Polish luthiers would do any shape from your choice of wood, electronics etc cheaper than the cost of a regular 4003... Wouldn't risk buying Chinese copy even for fraction of the price.

In the OP I've posted a link to thread with a guy displaying and reviewing his 5+ Chickenbackers bought there, but it was before they stopped accepting PayPal I think, now it's significantly more risky.

14. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Yes I agree-I have sent wire transfers for products through my work and then the factory closes and there is nothing you can do.

Its one thing when a large company gets ripped off for 500-2K dollars but for most of us losing that much money would really suck.

I know from my experience there are people in Asia who set up phoney companies and sell stuff on DH Gate or similar websites-get people to send them money and then disappear and set up shop under a different name-Asia doesnt not have the same laws as we do-many people do not realize this before taking risks.

Remember-If it is too good to be tru-it probably is!

Except Rondo-their stuff rocks!-lol

15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

The real question is how does one pronounce the title of this thread?! :confused:

16. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Most basses I've sold in 2013 have gone overseas. No problems at all. In fact, shipping overseas has allowed me to get more money for what I'm selling. A lot more.

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Did anyone else get a somewhat smaller-scale rendition for sale? Pretty funny!

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

John Hall's office this morning:

[​IMG]

19. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Now this made me laugh out loud!
    I surely don't have the experience that some do having only owned 3 RIC's in my life, but I can say that all three of them have had their issues.
    Laughing at these knock-offs without trying them seems kinda petty to me, given my challenges with original RICS, all brand new!
    Sure, no one is perfect, but after so many years of pounding out the same instruments, one would think that their attention to detail would be a little more forthcoming.
    Fishheadjoe

VanillaThundah likes this.
  20. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I think your story neatly demonstrates any problems with Rick QC. People will buy Ricks! You bought three! Rick special editions sell out quickly. There is often a waiting list for Ricks! At no point is the market sending them clear signals that their product needs improved or re-worked. Rickenbacker are like Alembic, they monopolise, entirely, a small area of the market. Cheaper copies present no real threat.

21. Modulator

Modulator

Chicken-BAWK-er ;)