1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Children of Men

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by paste, Dec 26, 2013.

1. paste

paste Supporting Member

Children of Men - Best underrated film I have seen in a long time. Heck, might be the best I have seen in a couple years. What a little gem I found at the library randomly picking out movies. Has anyone else seen it? Also, I'd love to hear about some of your top best underrated films.

2. bassteban

bassteban

I liked *Sherlock Holmes' smarter brother* and *Dark Star*

3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

Dream with the fishes

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Great film. I was amazed at some of the really long, complex takes. I believe Alphonso Cuaron made it, didn't he?

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

One of my favorite movies. The book is very good too.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've been watching youtube clips for the last half hour. I forgot how amazing this movie is. One of the best of all time. If you haven't seen it, watch it.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I saw it a few years ago. Good movie but I didn't like the violence in it. Some very graphic.

11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I don't know if it qualifies as "underrated", but I really like The Quick and the Dead. It was directed by Sam Raimi, who also directed the cult classic Army of Darkness. It has a lot of interesting characters portrayed by good actors: Russell Crowe as the gunfighter turned preacher, Gene Hackman as the despotic mayor, Leo DiCaprio as the illegitimate son seeking approval, etc. There's a lot of creative camera work. And, it's probably the hottest that Sharon Stone ever looked.

I also liked Children of Men, BTW. Interesting concept, and well done.

12. paste

paste Supporting Member

Yeah some of those shots were just amazing. I heard they actually used CGI to flawlessly link some shorter scenes into one of the longer "one take" shots (I believe they did this for the last and longest scene - when they were carrying the baby into and out of the building. Now this is what they should be using CGI for more often instead of over the top building explosion scenes. I also had to look this up but did anyone else notice the Pink Floyd reference?

[​IMG]
    Same building too. :smug:

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    Great Movie...loved it...

14. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

OMG! That's awesome! I totally missed that.

15. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Don't really remember the movie that well, but I do remember I really enjoyed it at the time.

I don't know if this qualifies as "underrated", but Fantastic Planet is one of my favorite sci fi movies.

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I got on a Clive Owen kick a few years back and rented every single movie he's ever been in from Netflix. I remember seeing Children Of Men then, and I remember liking it...but tbh I don't remember anything about it.

17. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1e99

[​IMG]

Children of Men was a fantastic movie as well, not old enough to have been forgotten by so many I think.
    [​IMG]

Here's another fantastic sci-fi...
    [​IMG]

18. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

19. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

I found the troll! Someone pass me a drink!

"Worst movie I have ever seen without question. Vote fraud?

I was having a glance through the top rated sci-fi (turns out this isn't sci-fi in any way actually) movies here on IMDb to find something good to spend a couple of hours on. This had a very high score, and the premise of global infertility intrigued me. I read a few reviews and it sounded solid.

After considering some of them again after actually seeing this abortion of a movie, I've concluded that the ONLY answer to such a high number of beaming reviews with 9 and 10 stars is vote fraud by the studio. I'm not the only one who thought the same after watching this one. Check some of the other "hated it" reviews. Many of them believe the same.

There have been times when I have suspected this in the past, but thought I was just being paranoid. Well, this one leaves me with no doubt that it happens. IMDb, please do something to fix this. This is the fourth movie in a row I've watched after seeing it in the top 250 that has turned out to be COMPLETE crap. What's going on?? This is easily the worst movie I've ever had the misfortune of viewing.

There is NO discernible plot, and I mean that. It's nothing but contrived dialog to take us from one dreary scene to the next. Literally nothing that is happening has any reason or explanation. The acting is high-school drama class level from nearly everyone. There is not one likable character. Hell, the first line spoken by the supposed savior of humanity (how is she that again?? never explained.) was "what the **** are you staring at?" Garbage from beginning to end.

What annoyed me the most is that the interesting premise of this global infertility is COMPLETELY unexplained. The ONLY way it is addressed in the film is establishing that it exists. Nobody has the slightly clue why, and figuring it out is never pursued by anybody. This is the result of nothing but lazy writing. They didn't even care about this supposed premise.

Avoid, avoid, AVOID!!! The IMDb score is mind-bendingly unbelievable."

Disclaimer: I personally love CoM. I have it on DVD. If you are wondering why I dug up the worst review for it I could find, read the post linked to here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/name-your-favorite-crappy-movie-897962/index7.html#post15288264

It's a new drinking game I've come up with. :D