Chinese DB - cheap

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Andy Mopley, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

http://www.dhgate.com/product/yz-v0...-with-solid/138085039.html#s4-19-1|2308114353

Understand that you are getting a cheap instrument, but gee, if it anything like the picture, and maple, it is probably too good to be true..nevertheless, for a starter, a beginner, who doesn't want to outlay a whole lot of cash, may not be a bad investment - even if you need to spend an extra $500-1000 on it...

Well, at least it looks good in the pictures!! :bag:

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Spam?

Or, the link just doesn't work in Finland with Firefox.

Regards
    Sam

3. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

No spam - that I am aware of Sam - site is DH gate, a renown site for knock off Chinese things but on occasions you can find an honest luthier who wants to do business - like I said, buyer beware, but at that price, if true, then not a bad deal - note, I have no commercial affiliation of any kind with them, or the individual.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Doesn't work for me anyway, just shows wedding dresses :( and undergarments :) on their main page.

Perhaps the possibility of hotlinking the product pages is disabled, as it usually is.

I love CCB's and the possibilities they give for acoustic jamming for example though, that's what caught my attention.

Talk about buying CCB's for the "wrong reasons" usually get the TB DB stiffie posse riled up, but IMO fortunately ther's been quite refreshing winds blowing through here recently.
    The CCB's have been seen as the opportunities they can be as well.
    Even by the folks I consider to be purists ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sam, see attached, hopefullt it works for you

Attached Files:

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

They can look and sound very good, but if the wood isn't dried properly and it is put together poorly and with carpenter's glue, you will have big problems if you live in a climate that causes wood movement.

But, you already know this...

8. hsech

hsech I may be old, but that doesn't mean I can't play Gold Supporting Member

The Chinese have been making stringed instruments going back hundreds of years.

9. gricko

gricko

i get ≈USD500 price, but +USD3k5 for shipping, bringing total to around USD4k5.
    you might have better luck w/ romanian basses. i live next door to romania and local prices are around double compared to that chinese. but i could try it before buying.
    there are more than few shops in US selling those, too.

10. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

True - that's why I always keep an open mind about CDB - I am sure there are good luthiers, finding them is the problem, though..

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

No one is bashing Chinese instruments, in general. What are bashed, and what deserved to be bashed, are the cheapo, crappy, implosion-prone Chinese instruments. Calling them "instruments" is a stretch.

12. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I looked inside one of those cheapos and saw bark on the neck block.

13. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    :D

14. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

When I got my driving licence, all I could afford was a $500 car - it had good breaks, and the lights were in good order, decent tyres - yet, the air conditioning didn't work, the radio antenna was a coat hanger, the rear view mirror was hanging by a thread and I am sure some of the rust had been covered with plaster board or cement - yet, at the time, it was all I could afford, and it got me started on the road...I drive a much better car now...

15. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Absolutely true!!!
    I have just returned from a weekend concert in Budapest, where i found an excellent Chinese Gamba shaped bass in a price that i couldn't resist. I bought it immediately and now i'm performing the necessary set up (bridge, strings, nut, soundpost etc). If, by God, the tonewood is seasoned i think that i have found another "gem in the mud". Otherwise i'll have some hard manhours in front of me...