1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

choices...help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by paradog, Apr 23, 2013.

1. paradog

paradog

So I've been trying to digest all this talk about amps and cabs. I have decided to go with separate units, rather than a combo.
    While I haven't decided on amp, I am also confused as to the enclosure to use. SO to help guide the discussion:

I don't play in a band.
    I do play through the amp to practice.
    I play outside my home about 1-3 times a year...small venues.
    I like the smooth low jazz tones rather than the crunch of a metal band.
    Weight isn't an issue.

Choices-without naming specific manufactures

2X10
    1X15
    2X12

Also looking for any insights from those that have built their own cabs like the fEARFUL line.

:bag::help::bag:
  2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

It's a Goldilocks and the Three Bears question.

For me, 2x12 is a mild preference. All things being equal (comparing cabinets from the same brand and model line) I seem to find more things to like about them.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

The problem is, with out naming specifics the configurations you listed mean nothing. The sound of a cab isnt determined by the diameter of the speaker. Its determined by all the other speaker specs and the cab built around it.

You might have to ask a specific question here....
  4. SalmonCubes

SalmonCubes

Yeah, you need to give us more info on what sound you want than that. :)
    My personal preference out of those would be either the 2x10 or 2x12, and get them as 8 ohm and that way, if you need more sound later in a band setting, you can get a matching cab to increase your loudness.
  5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

A 212 is usually small enough to not look poser-ish at a small venue, comparatively easy to haul, and can handle enough power to work in larger venues. Since you never asked about sound vs. diameter correlation, I'll assume you're smart enough to know there isn't any.
  6. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I just got a 212. Light enough to use at home, but can easily handle most gigs. Check out the GK NEO212. I bought one and have been pleased. Pair this with a GK MB200, and you have a very capable enclosure.