Choices

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by newmusicmichael, Apr 11, 2014.

1. newmusicmichael

newmusicmichael

So I ended up joining this cover band a couple weeks back. Good guys, the guitarists are quite talented, the drummer's a little green but working hard at it. I think the most interesting part is that because he's so green he actually follows my lead, which is different than I'm used to (I'm not that non-green myself). Their material is pretty dated, though, for my tastes: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Waylon Jennings, Neil Young, Bob Seger, Eagles, Tom Petty, etc. All exceptionally talented musicians, don't get me wrong, and great songs back in their day, but not exactly the type of music I'd listen to, or even have on my phone. But it's also a really good place for me to get a better handle on being in a band, too - and they have plans for some gigs later in the summer.

Couple days ago I ended up in an email conversation with the drummer from an originals band. Some of their stuff is pretty great, some of it's a little slower tempo than I'd prefer, but it's probably more where I'd like to be heading. Not sold one way or the other on them, but will probably jam with them next week and then we can all make decisions for the future.

Feel kind of guilty about the first band if I do pursue the latter, but it's not like I've known them that long, I suppose. And I'm still not sold on the new band, either, and that's without even taking the odds-of-a-jam-working-out into effect.
  2. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Do what you want, if you have the time and energy do both. If you want to leave the originals just let them know you enjoy playing with them but it's not what you want to do, it is what it is if they're adults they will understand.
  3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I've had boobies flashed at me while playing Skynyrd , Young and Petty. Never had em flashed at me playing originals. Just sayin'.
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh okay.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

Even a bad cover band will make more money than 99.7% of "originals" bands (give or take). Play in both if you can. Get all the band time you can squeeze into your schedule while you can. Later on you may have to make decisions. Later on you may have to choose with whom, when, and how much you play. That's life. Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  7. obimark

obimark

This is truth, other than certain markets- in Hotlanta it is actually reversed, even a BAD original (EMO< ALTERNATIVE< WHINER< COUNTRY FOLK< JUG BAND will play more at decent venues but the pay is so LOW they still won't make more money than my cover band playing in the sticks.

So here basically like 7-8 originals bands play for 15-20 minutes each at the same place in one night! (for $20 each)

(Granted this is not great money either)
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, Yup.