Choose my next J neck Graphite or Maple bound and blocked

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TonyP-, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Choose my next J neck

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. Maple white pearloid Bound and Block

61.4%
  2. Graphite - Faitfull as a old hound dog

38.6%
  1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    So folks
    I'm a little bit of a J bass fanatic and mostly I'm going to build my last one for quite some time (maybe forever...)
    My question is...what neck should I get TB-ers. (PS this poll is for fun).

Should I go with my childhood favorite (which for some reason I never keep) maple white perloid bound and blocked or go with good old graphite once again.

Black Ash Body - Cream Dimarzio - Nordstrand Pre

Graphite has its advantages...but I don't have maple neck J bass anymore actually.

I'm torn a little :bag::cool:
  2. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Interesting Maple taking the lead...
  3. mogpipe

mogpipe

Loves me some maple!
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Graphite.

I like the look and feel of the maple necks, too, but if you're talking a LONG LONG TIME (maybe forever) for this bass.... GRAPHITE has the nod that kind of inherent long-term stability.. wood does not.

If you don't mind "maybe" having to tweak or replace the wood neck, go for it, though.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Can't say based on just 46 votes, but where I've seen graphite compared to wood elsewhere there seemed to be a lot of folks with no appreciable experience playing graphite weighing in on the side of wood.
  7. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Very cool...

I love the input.

Just to add a little something here...I have been a working with Modulus for over 10 years and own 2 VJs (fretted and fretless) as as well a Status J.

All in all thats 3 graphite J basses (and I love them all and they are all different)

I'm literately building this bass around a set of pickups (that might sound crazy to some) but...Its what I have been looking to do for a while.
  8. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
  9. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Maple!
    The only graphite neck I ever liked was mostly maple - it was a Modulus Genesis maple neck with a graphite spine. That neck was sweet, but HEAVY. I don't think you can go wrong with good ol' bound & blocked maple.
  10. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    At this time its since its over 62% to go Maple Blocks and Binding

I just ordered the Maple neck with nice light 70's style blocks, a vintage yellow tint, and a small vintage style frets (I love little frets)

I'm knocking out 2 hard-ons in this build :bag::bag::bag:

That style neck with cream Dimarzios.

Its getting V-V-B/T stacked Nordstrand pre with a active/passive toggle that is getting drilled right into the plate.

Black ash body (no pickgaurd actually) - Schaller hardware
  11. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I don't get the white blocks and binding on a maple neck. The lack of contrast between the two colors makes it look terrible. Most of those necks I've seen, you might as well save the cash and get a plain maple neck because you can barely see the blocks and binding.

Now if it's over a rosewood board, I get that.
  12. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Yeah I'm not a rosewood guy...In a way I wish I was, there would be so many more basses I would like.
  13. jongor

jongor

I voted maple...recently put together a J bass with a USACG maple/maple neck and it's killer! Best feeling J neck I've ever used....and an excellent price.

Perfect shape and size, and just has that something special about it tone-wise.

I did build a J bass years ago with a Moses neck and EMG pickups and that bass had a unique tone and feel, but you already have graphite necked basses, so go with something different!
  14. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Post a pic of that...
    Cheers :bassist: