1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Choose my next J neck Graphite or Maple bound and blocked

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basswave, Feb 4, 2013.

?

Choose my next J neck

Poll closed Mar 6, 2013.
  1. Maple white pearloid Bound and Block

61.4%
  2. Graphite - Faitfull as a old hound dog

38.6%
  1. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    So folks
    I'm a little bit of a J bass fanatic and mostly I'm going to build my last one for quite some time (maybe forever...)
    My question is...what neck should I get TB-ers. (PS this poll is for fun).

Should I go with my childhood favorite (which for some reason I never keep) maple white perloid bound and blocked or go with good old graphite once again.

Black Ash Body - Cream Dimarzio - Nordstrand Pre

Graphite has its advantages...but I don't have maple neck J bass anymore actually.

I'm torn a little :bag::cool:
  2. basswave

Disclosures:
    Interesting Maple taking the lead...
  3. mogpipe

mogpipe

Loves me some maple!
  4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Graphite.

I like the look and feel of the maple necks, too, but if you're talking a LONG LONG TIME (maybe forever) for this bass.... GRAPHITE has the nod that kind of inherent long-term stability.. wood does not.

If you don't mind "maybe" having to tweak or replace the wood neck, go for it, though.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

+1
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096

Can't say based on just 46 votes, but where I've seen graphite compared to wood elsewhere there seemed to be a lot of folks with no appreciable experience playing graphite weighing in on the side of wood.
  7. basswave

Disclosures:
    Very cool...

I love the input.

Just to add a little something here...I have been a working with Modulus for over 10 years and own 2 VJs (fretted and fretless) as as well a Status J.

All in all thats 3 graphite J basses (and I love them all and they are all different)

I'm literately building this bass around a set of pickups (that might sound crazy to some) but...Its what I have been looking to do for a while.
  8. basswave

Disclosures:
  9. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Maple!
    The only graphite neck I ever liked was mostly maple - it was a Modulus Genesis maple neck with a graphite spine. That neck was sweet, but HEAVY. I don't think you can go wrong with good ol' bound & blocked maple.
  10. basswave

Disclosures:
    At this time its since its over 62% to go Maple Blocks and Binding

I just ordered the Maple neck with nice light 70's style blocks, a vintage yellow tint, and a small vintage style frets (I love little frets)

I'm knocking out 2 hard-ons in this build :bag::bag::bag:

That style neck with cream Dimarzios.

Its getting V-V-B/T stacked Nordstrand pre with a active/passive toggle that is getting drilled right into the plate.

Black ash body (no pickgaurd actually) - Schaller hardware
  11. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

I don't get the white blocks and binding on a maple neck. The lack of contrast between the two colors makes it look terrible. Most of those necks I've seen, you might as well save the cash and get a plain maple neck because you can barely see the blocks and binding.

Now if it's over a rosewood board, I get that.
  12. basswave

Disclosures:
    Yeah I'm not a rosewood guy...In a way I wish I was, there would be so many more basses I would like.
  13. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

I voted maple...recently put together a J bass with a USACG maple/maple neck and it's killer! Best feeling J neck I've ever used....and an excellent price.

Perfect shape and size, and just has that something special about it tone-wise.

I did build a J bass years ago with a Moses neck and EMG pickups and that bass had a unique tone and feel, but you already have graphite necked basses, so go with something different!
  14. basswave

Disclosures:
    Post a pic of that...
    Cheers :bassist: