Choosing a 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by levonrocks, Nov 21, 2012.

1. levonrocks

levonrocks

I'm looking to purchase a 6 string bass sometime soon, but the selection available at the local music stores is very limited. I am tempted to order one off the internet, but I am not very comfortable dropping $1000+ without trying the instrument first. I have looked into used Modulus Q6's, Music Man Bongo 6's, Ken Smith basses, and MTD's. I would really like a Modulus or an MTD 635, but the price is a little much for me. Does anybody know if the MTD Kingston 6 is any good? Any suggestions for quality a six string bass in the $1000 - $2000 price range?
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320

They're well under $. 1,000.00 and already pro instruments
    Yamaha in particular is very well finished and adorned, while Ibanez has better electronics and is easier wanting to cut thru band mixes

The élite version are well over $. 2,000.00 so only secondhand stay comparable

Cheers,
    Wallace
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

My advice is to save and find a nice used Modulus. I've got a Modulus 6er and it's by far the BEST bass I own. Note I also have a Ken Smith, Alembic, as well as an Ibanez SR506. Each of these basses does it's thing but the Modulus is the one that cuts the mix and always does the job. If you can't score something high end used, I'd consider Wallace320's advice and consider Ibanez or Yamaha. MUCH underrated for the money.
  4. Goteky45

Goteky45

also consider the schecter stiletto studio 6. amazing bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Used Roscoe Standard.
  7. speeves

speeves

I would try them out, as many 6 string basses neck dive.
  8. hgiles

hgiles

I was in your situation not long ago (last week). I couldn't justify spending more than $2000 on a used 6 string. Bass probably will never be my first instrument, but I am enjoying learning it.

I looked heartily at everything in the price range you're in and pined over the used MTDs, Warmoths, and Ken Smiths that were just out of my reach. At the end of it all I decided I might be doing myself a disservice if I ended up with some kind of boutique, custom bass. Would such a bass be so custom and specialized that it can't cover ALL the bases (no pun intended)?

So my last three strongest considerations were MIJ TRB-6, Peavey Cirrus 6, and lastly MIJ Ibanez SR Prestige 6 -- all ubiquitous marque's in the music world. Surely the world has tested these and they still stand tall among many boutique models that few have even seen, heard, and played.

The next deal that came along in one of these three, I took. Incidentally, it was on an Ibanez Prestige. If it plays as well as my 706, I will be plenty happy and likely never look back as I surmise it will be as good a bass as I will ever need.

BTW, there is a Peavey Cirrus 6 NOS in a shop in Maryland. You can find the bass on ebay. You might be able to make a local deal on it over the holiday...I almost did.
  9. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Don't count out the Ibanez BTB 6 strings. They're gorgeous, for the price. A bit heavy, but REALLY well built and play great. I kind of want one in a 5 string.
  10. hgiles

hgiles

BTW, I didn't want a bass that wasn't made in Japan, Europe, or North America as instruments manufactured outside these areas are just so hard to get out of if you ever have to sell it. MTD Kingstons? I wouldn't touch one for the new price they are asking.

I know it's market prejudice not mine. I know instruments can be great coming from Taiwan, Korea, China, Indonesia, etc. -- my SR706 is proof. I just know the secondary market isn't kind on them. FACT!
  11. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I have a Studio 5 I can attest to that..
  12. MyMusic

MyMusic

Carvin, MTD Kingston, Ibanez. My picks in that order.
  13. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    This. It's my best-playing bass all the way up the neck.
  14. Systolic

Systolic

+1 love mine. Really growls. Cuts through the mix well.

What does everybody think of the Brubaker Brute 6's? Just trying to generate discussion.
  15. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I'm surprised that no one has even mentioned the bongo 6s. I was under the impression they were well loved in the 6 string world?
  16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    One of my students has a MTD Kingston Z6 and it's a nice instrument. I love the Carvin LB76 and Icon 6 basses and if you find them used they are great buys as well. Ditto for Modulus Quantum 6 basses.
  17. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

It's mentioned in the OP.
  19. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    FACT indeed

I just suggested for new items (both Ibanez SR1206E Premium and Yamaha TRB1006J are made in Indonesia) while SR5006E Prestige and TRB6P stay in OP price range if secondhand only.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  20. hgiles

hgiles

There's a nice Ken Smith in the TB marketplace that you and the buyer could come together on.
  21. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

I have an Ibanez SR1206E that I love. Very well built, sounds great, very versatile, and not too heavy.